The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Quinta do Crasto Douro Vinha da Ponte

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2000 Quinta do Crasto Douro Vinha da Ponte

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:49 am

2000 Quinta do Crasto Douro Vinha da Ponte 14.5%
I believe this is 100% Touriga Nacional, but couldn't confirm this from website. Made from (then) 80 year old vines, aged 20 months in American and French oak. This is a wine that has bowled me over in the past so early last year I picked up another three bottles. The first, in December, was tasty but seemed a little tired, so last night, in case it is already headed south (an inappropriate expression here in the southern hemisphere), I decided to open a second to accompany some Portuguese (Évora) sheep's milk cheese. This was in much better shape, a reminder that there are no great wines, only great bottles.

Deep, dark crimson. Aromas of coffee, chocolate and blackberries, with heady alcohol vapors. Sniffed blind, I would have guessed malbec... Palate is complex and multilayered, with additional notes of caramel, molasses and eucalyptus. Acid and sweetness in perfect balance. Mouthfeel is sumptuous, almost syrupy, though marred by alcohol that appears to be running on the outside, poorly integrated. Powerful without being blunt, this is not at all tired and would seem to have many more years ahead of it. I don't know if the alcohol will ever integrate, the only question mark in what would otherwise be a top notch example of modern winemaking.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

Re: WTN: 2000 Quinta do Crasto Douro Vinha da Ponte

by Joe Moryl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks for your note. I seem to recall reading that the Vinha da Ponte is made from a field blend of old, mixed vines, not 100% Touriga Nacional. There is also a Reserve Touriga Nacional that is supposed to be superb.