The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ashton Hills Salmon Brut

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

WTN: Ashton Hills Salmon Brut

by Matilda L » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:16 am

The day before the Easter holiday, and we had no work on. The Francophile and I spent the morning in the garden and the afternoon birdwatching at Laratinga Wetlands, in the Adelaide Hills. When we got home, we threw a rack of lamb into the oven along with some potatoes and pumpkin, for a roast dinner. The wine:

Ashton Hills Salmon Brut 2005 - pinot noir sparkling rose (Adelaide Hills, South Australia).
Femented in the bottle in which it is sold.
Deep salmon-pink, with a steady bead. Dry, savoury. Toasted brioche, cherry, honey and hazelnut, underlying a light veil of warm strawberry. Strong backbone of mineral and acid. Long, dry finish. An old favourite.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Ashton Hills Salmon Brut

by Jenise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Not one we've seen stateside, but it sounds lovely. Since you spend time with a Francophile, would be interested in your take on the Australian sparkling wine industry. Am thinking your conclusions might be similar to ours in America about our own bubbly products: good in their own right, but not even close.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

by Matilda L » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:45 am

good in their own right, but not even close

I think the best Australian sparkling wines are good in their own right, and also stack up well against French sparklers in similar price brackets. They are a different flavour experience. This is as it should be, given that wines are the product of a complex set of interactions – from grape varieties to climate, to soils and water, to wine production methods.

Over the last twenty or thirty years, Australian sparkling wine production has come on in leaps and bounds in terms of quality. In that time, there has been a lot of benchmarking and sharing of knowledge with French wine makers, along with the formation of business partnerships that have enabled the entry of Australian wines into the European marketplace. I think the French influence has been for the better, and has contributed to the improvement in Australian sparkling wine making.

Naturally, there’s quite a bit of variation across the Australian sparkling wines produced. For a start, there are hundreds of wineries making sparklers, across pretty well all the wine regions. That takes in a lot of different climates, and a lot of soil variation. In general, I’d say the best Australian sparklers come from the coolest regions, where conditions enable the grapes to be ripened slowly and picked when the acidity is high and the sugar levels are lower. Think Tasmania, Macedon Ranges or Yarra Valley.

Another variant in the Australian sparkling winemaking scene is the range of grape varieties used. Whilst the French are very strict about which varieties can be used where, and champagne is produced strictly from chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meuniere, Australian sparkling winemakers have greater liberty to use what they will.

A correspondent (from the US) recently remarked that Australian wine makers will make sparkling wine out of anything. To an extent, that’s right. Plenty of Australian sparklers use the classic ‘champagne’ combination; plenty use chardonnay and pinot noir, forget the pinot meuniere; others go for chardonnay only, or pinot noir only. Then, you get other alternatives – I’ve drunk domestic sparklers made out of Riesling, Grenache, Muscat of Alexandria, pedro ximinez … the list goes on. (And that’s without venturing into the field of red sparkling wine.)

The other variant is that Australia is making sparkling wine across all price brackets. The cheap end of the market uses the charmat (tank fermented) method. A while ago, I was interested to read a comment somewhere from the chief sparkling wine maker at Hardy’s, to the effect that they like the charmat method for commercial wines because it delivers bright fruit characters with less yeast contact. He seemed to be talking up the one-dimensional, sweeter, fruit-driven flavours as a market virtue. Well, I suppose it is: the cheaper end of the market probably is looking for unchallenging fizz. There’s a market for it, and I have no problem with that. (Just don’t offer it to me.)

In a nutshell, I’d say the best of Australian sparkling wine compares very favourably with sparkling wines of similar price bracket from France. There are plenty of Australian sparkling wines at all price points, and you get what you pay for - the range of quality available muddies the waters a bit when we're making comparisons. I just hope and pray that Australia is sending your wine shops some of the good stuff along with the barbecue brews!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:15 am

There are plenty of Australian sparkling wines at all price points, and you get what you pay for - the range of quality available muddies the waters a bit when we're making comparisons. I just hope and pray that Australia is sending your wine shops some of the good stuff along with the barbecue brews!

You guys might be well ahead of us then. I don't think America has a good range of quality at all price points--there just aren't that many producers doing bubbles, for one. The best bubblies available here in the $9-15 range aren't even American, they come from Spain and South Africa. At the other end, and this is not a generalizastion but a statement of fact, there are no/zero American Krugs, Pol Rogers, Bollingers, what have you. At $25-40, there are some tasty, well-made sparkling wines like Iron Horse, Roederer and Argyle but in that range you can afford the bottom end of the French stuff which 9 times out of 10 outperform the typically more simplistic Americans. Where the American wines do best is in the $15-25 range where the California bubblies are good and there is almost no French competition, and in the $5 charmat-process category for people who don't care what they drink.

But yes, we do get some good down-under bubblies here. Taltarni's Tache pops up frequently, a wine I used to like better than I do now--it's gotten sweeter. Jansz from Tasmania has impressed hugely (and I've bought cases in the past), and so have a number of wines from the Yarra--I've got some Yarra Station BdB in my cellar now. The most interesting Australian bubble I've had was a pinot noir based wine while travelling through the Macedon region, but Macedonian wines otherwise never seem to reach our shores.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Matilda L wrote:There are plenty of Australian sparkling wines at all price points, and you get what you pay for - the range of quality available muddies the waters a bit when we're making comparisons. I just hope and pray that Australia is sending your wine shops some of the good stuff along with the barbecue brews!

Unfortunately that isn't happening. Still a whole lot of Jacob's Creek Sparkling Shiraz and such around here, but the good stuff is very hard - at times impossible to find. Bar some Yarrabank being offered at ridiculous prices by Zachy's and Garagiste recently, I've not seen much besides the Taltarni that Jenise mentioned, and nothing out of Tasmania yet. But I've been amazed by some of the sparklers being produced in Australia - Yering Station's doing some outstanding stuff, and I was seriously blown away by what I tasted when I visited the new Domaine Chandon cellar door in Yarra Valley a couple of years ago.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

by Matilda L » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:56 pm

the good stuff is very hard - at times impossible to find

I suspect that one reason there are not many good Oz sparkling wines available in the US is that much of the good stuff is produced in fairly small volumes. Vast tsunamis of Jacobs Creek and Banrock Station washes over to your shores, but the smaller crushes don't make it. (You'll have to come and visit again :wink: )

a wine I used to like better than I do now--it's gotten sweeter

This happens SO much!!!! <tearing out hair>

A wine gets a following - the winery looks for ways to capitalise on this - first, they up the sweetness quotient on the "some's good, more's better" principle; then they change to a different production method, to enable the production of ever vaster quantities, with at least some loss of quality.

I still get a tear in my eye when I think of Seaview sparkling. Into the late 1980s, Seaview winery in McLaren Vale produced a low price methode champenoise - it sold for six or seven dollars a bottle. It wasn't Pol Roger, but it was quite good for the price. Then, changes in ownership and changes in business plan took place, and they moved to the charmat method. Well, the winery needs to make a buck, so I can understand why the changes ... but ... Anyway, they probably did me a favour, because at that point I decided that you get what you pay for, and I took my purchasing dollar up market.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:03 pm

Matilda L wrote:I suspect that one reason there are not many good Oz sparkling wines available in the US is that much of the good stuff is produced in fairly small volumes. Vast tsunamis of Jacobs Creek and Banrock Station washes over to your shores, but the smaller crushes don't make it. (You'll have to come and visit again :wink: )

That, and there doesn't seem to be that big a market here for other sparkling wine - given the range of Champagne available and then some pretty solid domestic sparklers like Argyle and Roederer - so I'm not even sure how well those wines would sell. (Not to mention those wines aren't inky black coloured and smelling of hedonistic opulent blueberry extract, so certain critics would probably pan them the same way other Aussie classics like Mount Mary and Mount Langi Ghiran have been damned.)

As far as visiting again, it's definitely on the cards. It's good to have a lot of family living around Victoria, which is probably my favourite state to explore in terms of wine (and only about an hour's drive from my uncle/aunt's place in Melbourne out to the Yarra). :D