The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Stickleback Red 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Stickleback Red 2007

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Heartland
South Australia (10 per cent Limestone Coast and 90 per cent Langhorne Creek)
An interesting blend of Cabernet (52 per cent), Shiraz (33), Dolcetto (10) and Grenache.

Winemaker is Ben Glaetzer, he of Amon-Ra fame.

Bought this, primarly, because of the unusual blend of grapes and the reputation of the wine maker.

Dark purple, almost black in the glass.

Not much action on the nose.

Very thick and heavy in the mouth, almost chewy, intense and powerful, spicy, floral, black cherry, raspberry, blackberry, black licorice, tarry, chocolate, teeth-staining and tongue coating, with some annoying heat (due to the 14.5 per cent alcohol) toward the end.

Mild mouthwatering tanginess on the finish.

The wine was, quite literally, overwhelming. Its combination of intense flavours and high alcohol made my mouth and taste buds go numb and I had to keep drinking water to refresh my mouth. All brute power, no finesse.

Screwcap closure.

Purchased at $13.41 (Canadian) from the Manitoba Liquor Commission while I was in Winnipeg. The exact same wine is being released this coming weekend in Ontario at $15. Hmmm.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Stickleback Red 2007

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:53 pm

Bruce, I have tasted some entry-level wines from Ben and they all seem to match your description!! Not for me, that`s for sure.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Stickleback Red 2007

by Salil » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Sounds like a fairly typical Glaetzer and a pass for me. I'm not a huge fan of the Glaetzer wines, aside from the Godolphin (which I absolutely love - for whatever reason the Cab% in that blend seems to add some serious backbone and acid that isn't there in the pure Shirazes).