The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Ridge Geyserville

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

WTN: 2006 Ridge Geyserville

by Matt Richman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 pm

2006 Ridge Geyserville
Broad and pretty with tobacco notes, a dense medium dark core and a classy profile. Suave and smooth, this is an expansive wine with floral undertones. Brawnier and denser than the Lytton, it is also less sweet, meatier, and really better. Some fine tannins and a brambly berry finish. Everything is in excellent balance, as is expected with a fine Ridge. Wonderful.
B++
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2006 Ridge Geyserville

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:32 am

Nice. A bit of a Ridge week i see. Did you get any of hte other bottligns or just the Lytton and Geezer?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:40 am

Matt, I probably posted my notes on this one here a few months ago, but it's too early for me too look for them, so I'll just post again for comparison. I think we're in general agreement. 8)

2006 Ridge Sonoma Geyserville, 70% Zinfandel, 18% Carignane, 10% Petite Sirah, 2% Mataro, 14.6% alc., $34.99: Showing an attractive garnet robe, this delivers pretty, velvet-like black raspberry, plum and lavender flavors and aromas shaded with some moderate Draper-esque perfume and a moderate sweetness as well, although this is indeed a dry wine. Very pleasurable on the palate and yet deceptively well structured for 5-8 years of aging. With fine balance and a lovely, refined, almost claret-like character, it’s obviously Mr. Ridge, and while not the best Geyserville ever made, it’s certainly quite harmonious and enjoyable.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:31 am

These are the two Ridge bottlings I usually buy along with the occasional Three Valleys. I had the 07 Three Valleys a few weeks ago and I think it's one of the best versions of that wine I've had.

If you asked me last week I would have said I like the Lytton and Geyserville about equally year after year, but after reviewing my notes I find that the Geyserville usually edges out the Lytton. Funny how the brain works.

I think the 06 Geyserville is as good as any, the 06 Lytton not so much.

And yes, it has been a delicious week trying these wines. I indulged in these because my wife said she'd have a glass of wine with dinner the last two nights, which is a bit of a rarity these days.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:32 pm

Matt Richman wrote:2006 Ridge Geyserville
Broad and pretty with tobacco notes, a dense medium dark core and a classy profile. Suave and smooth, this is an expansive wine with floral undertones. Brawnier and denser than the Lytton, it is also less sweet, meatier, and really better. Some fine tannins and a brambly berry finish. Everything is in excellent balance, as is expected with a fine Ridge. Wonderful.
B++

Snap. We had this last night at our weekly Wednesday tasting (Thursday morning here as I post this) - what a gorgeous wine. Tasted blind, I thought this was from Australia but it was then narrowed down to Northern Hemisphere so then I was thinking southern Italy, perhaps made from Primitivo. Hardly ever get to taste USA wines here in New Zealand, but once the region was identified as California, it all fell into place. Fabulous deep blue-black red colour, smoky aromas with vanillin oak and hints of tobacco and immediate juicy delicious flavours. With upfront spice, vanillin oak, raisin and cherry-like fruit and smooth velvet-edged tannins. It has plenty of structure, loads of flavour with a touch of savouriness bringing it all into balance.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:10 pm

We'll be trying the 2007 Geyserville for the 1st time this weekend~I'll let you all know how it is next week!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :D
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:21 pm

Glad you got to try it Sue. Geyserville and Lytton were two of the wines I brought to Germany to give as gifts to the winemakers. Ridge seems emblematic of the best of American wine making to me.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:37 pm

David, I couldn't agree more. Especially in light of some of the Zinfandels that are out there, Ridge displays a class and refinement beyond expectations.

Are any of the other bottlings as good as Geyserville (aside from Monte Bello)?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 pm

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Pagani Ranch, but it's a richer, bolder style than even the Geezer.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:25 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Pagani Ranch, but it's a richer, bolder style than even the Geezer.

I'd say that in specific years, Pagani Ranch can reach the heights normally occupied by Geyserville and LS, but their track record is to me far more consistent than that of Pagani Ranch. I agree with the idea about bringing Ridge wines to European friends/contacts. I've added ESJ wines to that list, too, now.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 am

Just a question about price. In New Zealand the Geyserville is retailing for $65. That's US$37 giventhe current exchange rate. What is the cost on your side of the great Pacific divide?
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:14 am

Wine Searcher shows a range from 28 into the 30s for a bottle.

Does NZ have the same duty laws that Australia has on foreign wines?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:23 am

Salil Benegal wrote:Does NZ have the same duty laws that Australia has on foreign wines?

Sorry, have no idea.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:53 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Pagani Ranch, but it's a richer, bolder style than even the Geezer.

I'd say that in specific years, Pagani Ranch can reach the heights normally occupied by Geyserville and LS, but their track record is to me far more consistent than that of Pagani Ranch. I agree with the idea about bringing Ridge wines to European friends/contacts. I've added ESJ wines to that list, too, now.

Mark Lipton

Last couple of Paganis have been underwhelming, in my not so humble opinion, Mark, so I guess we're sort of in agreement. Waiting for another one that reaches the heights of the '91 & '92.

Just my 2 oz.,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:05 am

The '95 Ridge Pagani Ranch was always my favorite.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:19 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The '95 Ridge Pagani Ranch was always my favorite.

I gave a bottle of the '98 Pagani to a friend living in Bandol. He opened it with a bunch of Slow Foodies in Provence and they were blown away with its character, which reminded several of Amarone (it was a BIG wine) and others of the wines of Puglia. I still have some '02, which I found very impressive in its youth.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:29 am

Pagani normally does not approach Geyserville and Lytton Springs in overall quality in my humble opinion.

I paid $30 a botte last week for '07 Geyserville.

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:36 am

Matt Richman wrote:
Are any of the other bottlings as good as Geyserville?

Over the years I have had several of the Ridge ATP single vineyard zinfandel blends that I thought were as good, if not better, than the Geyserville of the same vintage. It all depends upon personal taste and preference though.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 am

geo t. wrote:We'll be trying the 2007 Geyserville for the 1st time this weekend~I'll let you all know how it is next week!

Cripes, I have not even gotten into my '97 Geyserville's yet. I'd better quit slacking off and get to work!
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:49 am

My final bottle of pre-2001 Ridge is a '94 Pagani that is waiting for the proper occasion.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:49 pm

I've had a hard time getting that through my head. The first Pagani I ever had was the '95, which was leaner and more claret-like right up to the last bottle we opened about a year ago. I have been less impressed with most other vintages I've had, especially those this decade. Too rich for my blood.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov