The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Westrey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: Westrey

by Jason Hagen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:39 pm

2007 Westrey Pinot Noir Justice Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (3/13/2009)
Prior to this, the only other pinot I have had from this young vineyard was St Innocent, which I have really liked. Although the 2007 St Innocent is not released, I would suspect one of the differences would be the oak. This seems to be easier on the oak compared to early SI Justices. At first the aromatics leaned toward a bit of dill which quickly turned to sweet spiced cherries. A slight resemblance to SRH on the nose. Purity is the word for the palate. Seamless. With the early primary fruit at the front I didn’t get much complexity but right now this is refreshing and tasty. Had some whole cluster components although I don’t think they use any. (90 pts.)
2007 Westrey Chardonnay Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (3/27/2009)

This wine is about 40% Justice Chard so I must be on a Justice kick. This is a wonderful chardonnay. Nice balance of richness and crispness. Acid and cream mixed in with a bunch of apples. Aromatically I would just call this enticing. Hard to not gulp it down now but I think for my tastes, this could use 4 or 5 years. (92 pts.)

2000 Westrey Zinfandel Layne Vineyard - USA, Oregon (3/22/2009)
I like old wines and I like old zin but this was pushing the edge for me. I knew this might be past its prime but for $12 why not try it. Nose has gone to a bit of a weird place. Very sherried. Not all together uninteresting and still smells like zin but it is suffering. On the palate it was a bit to much for me after 1 glass. The fruit is there but the oxidization and sherrie thing wore me out. (82 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Westrey

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:03 pm

The second one sounds like the Dread Pirate Westrey.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: WTN: Westrey

by ChefJCarey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 am

And the price points are good, too. The pinot noir is around $25.00 and the Chardonnay closer to $20.00.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT