The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Scherrer Zinfandels

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2007 Scherrer Zinfandels

by Jason Hagen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:38 pm

It should be noted that these were just recently bottled ... but I still couldn't keep my hands off.

2007 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Scherrer Shale Terrace - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (4/2/2009)
I know I should wait at least a little while on this but after tasting the OMV, I couldn't keep my hands off of it. Right after opening I thought I had made a mistake. Very dark and brooding with a bit of reductive like funk. I poured into the decanter and kept my hands off for a little while.The transformation happened within 60 minutes. Soon it began to show pure fruit with a touch of rusticity. The fruit through the middle was so tasty. Even had a bit of mango. Hmmm. This has very nice structure and concentration and should have a long life. I will try to keep my hands off but it will be a challenge. In time I hope the aromatics show a little more liveliness. (93 pts.)

2007 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Alexander Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (3/29/2009)
Popped and loved. Sitting with some friends outside eating some appetizers. This is an amazing Zin. So young and full of tasty fruit. Tons of fruit without the goopy viscosity I seem to get a lot of over the last 10 years. Very pretty berries. Smells great ... tastes great. This is why I love Zin. For me it is sad that I rarely find zin like this. And ZERO yes ZERO heat! Why oh why did I not buy cases of this. (94 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2007 Scherrer Zinfandels

by Jenise » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:05 am

Those both sound fantastic, Jason--what I used to love about zin, but have kind of given up any hope of finding again. As for your failure to back up the truck, those are only 07's--it's not too late to reload, is it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: 2007 Scherrer Zinfandels

by Jason Hagen » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:51 pm

The Shale is gone ... only available on futures ... and that was for like $18 :shock: The OMV is available and still at a great price ... just not as good as the futures price.

Jason