The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Glacial Cellar Strikes Again ('99 Moulin St. Georges)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Glacial Cellar Strikes Again ('99 Moulin St. Georges)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Spurred on by report of '99 Bordeaux drinking well, I put on my mukluks & parka and headed for the cellar.

1999 Moulin Saint Georges (St. Emilion)
The deep ruby color, almost purple in the center give me a sense that this may not be quite as ready as some wines. Dark fruit and a touch of coffee bean on the nose make me even more suspicious. It's certainly flavorful and in no way closed on the palate, but it's hardly developed at all, except perhaps in a softness to the tannins. Honestly it's been so long since I last had the wine that I cannot recall if the tannins were always this soft. It's a lovely drink for tonight, with a certain finishing austerity reminding me of its origins, but it's certainly not in prime drinking form. I am alternating between regret in opening it and enjoyment in drinking it, so perhaps it is best to leave well enough alone & just enjoy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Glacial Cellar Strikes Again ('99 Moulin St. Georges)

by Salil » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Nothing wrong with a glacial temperature cellar, David. At least there won't be cooked wines there - even if your 01 Germans may still be primary as hell by 2020. ;)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:55 am

Moulin St. George is one of the approximately 1150 St. Emilions I have never had. :) Old fave of yours, something new, or something else?

Btw, you expressed very well the dilemna of the typical cellar owner, drinking a wine that's a "lovely drink right now" while at the same time regretting it because the wine will yet have so much more to offer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:04 am

I bought the '99 Saint-Georges on a merchant recommendation, but never again, as the price went beyond what I would pay for that level of wine. In the 2000 vintage I went in other directions & never looked back. If the price comes back to say the $30 range I might jump in again.
Decisions are made by those who show up