The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Closel Papillon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2002 Closel Papillon

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:50 pm

So dinner was pasta with a Pierre Franey recipe for bay scallops in cream sauce, with a broccoli rabe/pea side and the 2002 Closel "Clos du Papillon" Savennieres. There has been some recent buzz about the '02 Closels going off a cliff. This has a worrisome deep gold color as it poured, and I am concerned that I get some apple peel notes that might be the harbinger of imminent oxidation. But those notes seem to fade over dinner. There's a lot of a wooly Chenin note, rich deep pit fruit and citrus, a honied edge to the finish though it seems dry. Not going over a cliff, but seems mature. But I revisit towards the end of the NCAA championship game (not much of a game, but as a UNC grad I enjoy the blowout!). Whoa, very impressive. If anything fruit seems younger, there's a deeper mineral edge, finish is long and lively. I was going to say B+/B drink now, but that last glass makes me think I can leave my other two for a bit, I'd give final glass A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2002 Closel Papillon

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:40 pm

I guess I just do not "get" Savennieres. Some of the Baumards are doing the same thing.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:53 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I guess I just do not "get" Savennieres. Some of the Baumards are doing the same thing.

Hey, they're not for everyone. :P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:54 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I guess I just do not "get" Savennieres. Some of the Baumards are doing the same thing.

I don't think anyone (including the producers) gets what is happening to these wines.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:54 pm

Party at my house!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:56 pm

Dale, this sounds like a bottle I opened about 3-4 months ago. The color looked like it should have been oth, but the flavors were good, middle-aged-mature chenin. Still, the wine felt a bit rich to me, almost bordering on heaviness, so I would opt to drink this sooner than later.