The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Easton Zin '91/RiverRun CabSauv '87..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Easton Zin '91/RiverRun CabSauv '87..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Tried two from the archives last night w/ my duck rillettes:
1. Easton Zin LinsteadtVnyd/AmadorCnty (387 cs; U/U; 14.7%) 1991: Med.color w/ some bricking; rather pencilly/cedary/old Zin slight stewed tomatos/briary/licorice fairly complex/interesting nose; soft/smooth/gentle rather cedary/pencilly/sandle wood/old Zin stewed tomatos/licorice slight vanilla/oak flavor w/ little tannins; med. slightly dried out/astringent cedary/pencilly/old Zin light pencilly/oak finish; a gentle old Zin that's still in balance and a pleasure to drink. $8.00
2. RiverRun CabSauv MountanosVnyd/Talmage/MendocinoCnty (12.2%) RiverRunVintners/Aromas 1987: Very dark color w/ slight bricking; slight bretty/horsecollar plummy/blackcurranty/tomato sauce light smokey/oak slight gamey rather complex/old Calif Cab/tobaccoy/cigar box nose; soft slight bretty/horsecollar rather plummy/licorice/classic blackcurranty/Cab slight tomatoey/earthy light smokey/pungent/oak flavor w/ light tannins; very long earthy/spicy/tomatoey rather blackcurranty/Cab/licorice slight smokey/oak rather complex finish w/ light/drying tannins; still in great shape and a real pleasure to drink. $12.00
1. I was first attracted to RiverRun way back when, when he produced a Syrah in the late '80's. I liked his style of wines (Syrah& Zin) because they had a lot of richnes & texture to them w/ plenty of fruit and lushness. This wine comes from Mendo grapes (unknown vnyd to me) and had a richness that was not usually seen in Mendo Cabs at that point in time. It reminded me a bit of BarneyFetzer's Cabs from that area w/ about 10 yrs of age on them and w/o the big hit of oak that Barney gave his wines he made in the mid-'70's. Note the anemic 12.2% alcohol, which would not fly in the marketplace these days. Note that you don't have to have "physiological ripeness" to get a wine that shows richness & texture...unless the bif scores from critics are important. Quite a surprise this RiverRun was.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Easton Zin '91/RiverRun CabSauv '87..(short/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:14 pm

Isn't it sad that lower alcohol wines won't fly? The 1996 Renaissance cult red from Yuba River had 12% alcohol and was in no way anemic or weak. The Mount Eden was under 14% and was so drinkable without giving you a headache from the alcohol. I think I will try a Ridge Santa Cruz tonight that clocks in at 13.2%!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Easton Zin '91/RiverRun CabSauv '87..(short/boring)

by Ian Sutton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Tom
Just noticed you list prices. Did you buy these wines on release, if so you keep better records than I do!
The wines sound good enough for me to keep my eyes peeled for aged Zin (though I can't recall seeing much in the local auction scene)

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Prices...

by TomHill » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Tom
Just noticed you list prices. Did you buy these wines on release, if so you keep better records than I do!
The wines sound good enough for me to keep my eyes peeled for aged Zin (though I can't recall seeing much in the local auction scene)
regards
Ian

Ian,
The prices are what I paid for them on release. It just happened that the btls happened to have the
price stickers still attached.
Tom
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Prices...

by Ian Sutton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:25 pm

TomHill wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:Tom
regards
Ian

Ian,
The prices are what I paid for them on release. It just happened that the btls happened to have the
price stickers still attached.
Tom

:lol:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster