The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Clos L'Eglise, Cotes de Castillon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2001 Clos L'Eglise, Cotes de Castillon

by Jenise » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Having enjoyed a glass of several Bordeauxs last week, last night's meal seemed no time to make an exception so we opened what is I think is only our second 2001 so far, the Clos L'Eglise from the warmer nether regions of Bordeaux, the Cotes de Castillon. Haven't had that much experience with these wines, except to note that they've all been bigger, fleshier and jammier than their fancy cousins to the north so I've avoided the appellation except in cooler years like 01.

And in that sense it was good wine: fleshy blackberry, black currant and blueberry fruit with some cedary opulence. Overtly sweet on the attack with ripe tannins on the finish, it's a very modern style and indistinguishable from a lot of the red blends we drink here in Washington state. The only thing that suggests it might not be is the strange saltiness that takes over from the sweetness about midway through a glass. As such, not bad wine, but not at all what I hope for from Bordeauxs, especially coming on the heels of the excellent Barde Haut and spare Bernadotte we'd had in the days before.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2001 Clos L'Eglise, Cotes de Castillon

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:06 pm

Interesting. I have some & may have to dig it up.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:26 pm

David,

The Côtes de Castillon are simply a continuation of Saint-Emilion under another name.
While the wines cannot reach the heights of Saint-Emilion, the good ones are on a par with many middle-of-the-road wines of St. Emilion.
They really aren't any higher in alcohol.

Clos l'Eglise is a Gérard Perse wine and thus automatically controversial.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

All the best,
Alex
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Alex - it was Jenise that enjoyed it (controversially).

I'm a big fan of the Cotes. Right now I have Cap de Faugeres, Clos L'Eglise, d'Aighuile & Clos Les Lunelles in the cellar. All are in the more modern style, but that's mostly what's available in my neck of the woods (not to mention some more "modern" wines from Lalande de Pomerol & Cotes de Francs).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:34 pm

Jenise wrote:the warmer nether regions of Bordeaux, the Cotes de Castillon. Haven't had that much experience with these wines, except to note that they've all been bigger, fleshier and jammier than their fancy cousins to the north so I've avoided the appellation except in cooler years like 01.

Is Cotes de Castillon significantly warmer than St Emilion? They're contiguous, correct? I know Cap de Faugeres and Faugeres are the same estate, just crosses the border.

I thought the '01 CdlE was good but modern and not compelling in 2004:
Ripe and oaky, quite a pleasant Merlot fruit nose- black plum and
dark berry. I think a few years might let the oak integrate better. Nicely done
internationally-styled wine, but not really compelling. If I saw under $15 I
might get more, but think this is more in the $18-20 range. B
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:42 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Alex - it was Jenise that enjoyed it (controversially).

I did? :|
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Is Cotes de Castillon significantly warmer than St Emilion? They're contiguous, correct? I know Cap de Faugeres and Faugeres are the same estate, just crosses the border.

I thought the '01 CdlE was good but modern and not compelling in 2004:
Ripe and oaky, quite a pleasant Merlot fruit nose- black plum and
dark berry. I think a few years might let the oak integrate better. Nicely done
internationally-styled wine, but not really compelling. If I saw under $15 I
might get more, but think this is more in the $18-20 range. B

Better get out my map, I may have misspoken. I thought the Cotes was definitely warmer though not far away at all, like the difference between Mendocino and Sonoma, say. Just about all I've had have tasted like warmer climate wines.
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

by AlexR » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Sorry David, I took your reply to be the original post.

Jenise, soil counts a lot more than microclimate most places in Bordeaux (other than Sauternes).

Bordeaux is big. From the northern tip of the Médoc to the easternmost point of the region (in the Côtes de Castillon), you will spend almost 3 hours in a car.
However, the difference in climate is not very great. The further you go inland, the warmer it gets, but we are only talking about 1°C.
And the difference between St. Emilion and Castillon would be like the difference between Washington D.C. and Arlington, Virginia...

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Jenise wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Alex - it was Jenise that enjoyed it (controversially).

I did? :|

The "controversially" was very much tongue in cheek. Since this is one of the few wines that we both own (how on earth we ended up with such different cellars is beyond me) I will make it a point to drag one out relatively soon. If I feel like doing some heavy lifting it may be this week.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:55 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The "controversially" was very much tongue in cheek.

I know, so was my reply. Should have winked I guess.

Since this is one of the few wines that we both own (how on earth we ended up with such different cellars is beyond me) I will make it a point to drag one out relatively soon. If I feel like doing some heavy lifting it may be this week.

We save half a bottle so I'll check it again tonight and more likely finish it tomorrow. I'm hoping it will firm up.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:49 pm

My Clos L'Eglise is buried. I will have to wait for the 4 day weekend (one holiday, one furlough day) to find it. 'Till then, enjoy a '99 Bordeaux note.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:47 am

David M. Bueker wrote: (how on earth we ended up with such different cellars is beyond me)

Well, if you hadn't run off to join the circus....

Say, put your mukluks back. We tasted the remaining L'Eglise last night and it had firmed up admirably and even showed some secondary development; the remainder should drink perfectly today.