The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mount Eden, Chiarlo Nivole

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Mount Eden, Chiarlo Nivole

by Brian K Miller » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:56 am

Based on cellartracker notes that indicate readiness, we sampled the 2003 Mount Eden Cabernet Sauvignon Santa Cruz Estate. I am finding the Santa Cruz AVA a bit of a revelation. This may have been the most "feminine" and "elegant" modern California Cabernet I have sampled. Quite oaky on the nose, but after sitting in the decanter for a bit, the wine opened up into a lovely melange of red cherry, currant, a hint of oak (in a good way), earth, saline minerals...Mouthfeel was light and elegant, with absolutely no heat from alcohol. Long, long finish. despite the light texture, this wine has a lot of flavors which I can't even describe. Solid 92 points. Bravo!

Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d'Asti. This was very elegant as well. Orange and peach, nice fizziness, not syrupy at all. Very pleasant "desert" appertif. 88 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach