The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Dao Reserva, Quinta da Espinhosa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

WTN: 2006 Dao Reserva, Quinta da Espinhosa

by Joe Moryl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:58 pm

2005 Dao Reserva, Quinta da Espinhosa (Portugal):

On one of my Newark Portuguese wine hunting expeditions I notice a wine from a totally obscure producer and decide to roll the dice (since it is only $10). A bit of webs searching reveals very little: this is indeed a little known producer, without a website or other note. Color is fairly deep, but not as inky as some of these wines can be (this particular blend is 50% Touriga Nacional and 50% Tinta Roriz, aka Tempranillo). Nose develops over the course of a few hours: a bit of dark fruit, prune, powdered rock. Dark raspberry and leather on the palate, but some firm tannins that clamp down on the finish. Hints of roses and bitter orange. Something makes me think of cru Beaujolais, but the overall impression is distinctly Portuguese/Dao. Maybe could use a bit more richness or concentration, but works well as a food wine. Decent value and interesting wine for little money. 13.5 % abv.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2006 Dao Reserva, Quinta da Espinhosa

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:47 pm

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

Re: WTN: 2006 Dao Reserva, Quinta da Espinhosa

by Joe Moryl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:32 am

Bob: I came across that link and it didn't promise much. The winery website link appears to be a place holder.
This time I ran it through the Google translator and it appears that they are boasting about continuous vineyards that can be easily mechanized, not exactly the sign of a qualtiy producer in my world.