The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 von Hoevel Riesling Spaetlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

WTN: 2001 von Hoevel Riesling Spaetlese

by Joe Moryl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:11 pm

2001 Oberemmler Hutte, Riesling Spaetlese, von Hoevel, MSR (or Saar, in this case):

Decided to see how some of my 2001 German rieslings are evolving. This still looks very youthful, with just a light twinge of gold. Not much happening on the nose: a whiff of vinyl and some apples. Rich and still youthful on the palate - if I am not mistaken, still tiny sensation of spritz. More apples, lanolin and a tiny bit of petrol on the palate. Everything in its place. Lots of tartrate crystals on the cork (which fell apart, but was apparently doing its job). On one hand, this seems rather unevolved, but on the other, it is a bit foursquare and monolithic. A nice, well balanced monolith, to be sure, but not a lot in the frilly details department.
8.5 % abv.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2001 von Hoevel Riesling Spaetlese

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Things seem to still be quite variable at the spatlese level. I am finding the kabinetts quite delicious and open with evolved, but not remotely mature/advanced. Spatlese is spotty, with a few wines in a nice place already, but not many.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:24 pm

Wow, you are quick when it comes to riesling! I think all of my '01 kabs are gone, so I'll likely be patient with the remaining bottles, based on the von Hoevel any your comments.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:37 pm

The von Hovel Scharzhofberger Spatlese is one of the bottles that is coming along more quickly. Of course their Hutte bottlings are the flagship of the house, so I would expect them to mature more slowly.
Decisions are made by those who show up