The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Visit to Ch. d'Yquem (2005/4/3/2/1)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Visit to Ch. d'Yquem (2005/4/3/2/1)

by AlexR » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm

I was fortunate enough to attend a vertical tasting of Yquem today at the château with my Danish friend, wine writer Izak Litwar.

The tasting was tutored by cellarmaster Sandrine Gabray. Sandrine has worked at Yquem since 1994, and been in charge of the cellars since 1998.

We started out with 2006 Y (pronounced "e-grek").
The label changed starting with this vintage. The new one is very classy: embossed, with an enormous, but tasteful "Y" and a silvery gold capsule.

Sandrine gave us some background to this wine, which dates back to 1959. For a start, "Y" was not made in every vintage in the past (for instance, there was no 2003 or 2001). However, the policy has changed, and there will be an Y every year from now on, with an average annual production of 10,000 bottles. The grapes do not come from any specific part of the vineyard.

Furthermore, there has been a shift in winemaking. The former blend was half Sauvignon Blanc and half Sémillon, but this has been changed to 60% S.B. and 40% Sémillon to make the wine a little more aromatic. Also, Sandrine said that the clay soil found in many plots is not ideal for Sémillon (producing more bitterness than desired in the dry wine).
Y is now less alcoholic than in the past, is aged in 30% new oak (as compared to 100% previously), and barrel aging lasts less long (24 to 30 months versus up to 40 months).
The grapes are picked 2 weeks after ripeness (physiological maturity).

2006 Y
Color: brilliant with light chartreuse highlights
Nose: restrained, subtle lemongrass
Palate: fine and steely, with a heavy mouth feel and a slight kiss of sweetness on the finish (10 g/l residual sugar)
An altogether understated wine that will be good young or old.

As for the tasting of Yquem, the color of all 5 wines was virtually identical. We stopped and stared, but there was practically no difference.

2005 Yquem
Nose: smell of the aging cellar (wine & wood vapors) with hints of acacia. Relatively closed-in at present.
Palate: plush, tight, fresh, and honeyed. Hints of quince. Medium body and medium-long aftertaste.
An infant showing very promising signs.

2004 Yquem
Nose: soft, with great purity, pineapple, beeswax, jujube and (very subjective) smell of church, but without the mustiness…
Palate: good acid backbone, with an interesting flip-flop from acidity into roundness and then into acidity again on the finish. This should not imply that the wine is not round, because it is, and quite sensual.
Half a normal crop and careful selection resulted in a very fine wine. This was the big surprise of the tasting to me. Delicious.

2003 Yquem
Nose: bursting with botrytis, dried fruit (figs), candied fruit – powerful, complex, seductive, all one could hope for…
Palate: big, opulent, voluptuous, but somehow restrained and under control, and not so much cloying as concentrated. Despite the volume of flavor and richness, tremendous balance and extremely long aftertaste with earthy, mineral notes.
The earliest harvest in Yquem's history took just 9 days to pick. They resisted the temptation to go in for anything top-heavy. If there is a heaven, this is surely on tap.

2002 Yquem
Nose: much more ethereal, displaying the characteristics of Yquem in a minor chord, with a slight smokiness and overtones of beeswax.
Palate: Not as strong on the middle palate nor as weighty as the others. Pear and apple flavours. The vibrant acidity ensures that this wine will age well, and it is an Yquem that would be best with at table, but certainly not with dessert.
Very long, mineral aftertaste to accompany the sweetness.

2001 Yquem:
Nose: There were reductive notes to begin with, but these dissipated over time to reveal a powerful bouquet with spirity aspects. Hints of gooseberry jam. I'm sure that the bouquet hides many more things that would come out with further aeration.
Palate: complex, concentrated, and sensual with a touch of menthol. Tremendous tension that holds everything together. Heavy botrytization. Aftertaste of enormous length with a fascinating balance between sweetness and bitterness on the finish. This is one for the very long haul. The overall impression is of depth. A monument.

Sandrine's heart goes out to the 2001, which she sees as the best vintage in her 15 years at Yquem. While I see the enormous depth and potential there, my own preference went to the 2003. Perhaps I need to try them both together in another 30 years or so!

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Visit to Ch. d'Yquem (2005/4/3/2/1)

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Lucky guy.

Thanks for sharing the tasting notes with us.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 pm

Terrific notes, but I don't understand why less Semillon would make the wine more arromatic.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:35 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Terrific notes, but I don't understand why less Semillon would make the wine more aromatic.

Carl, easy--the minority blending grape in Sauternes is sauvignon blanc, which is a lot more aromatic than semillon, but with less character on the palate. Less semillon = more sauvignon = more aroma, but perhaps less flavor and backbone.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:51 am

Great notes, Alex, loved many of your turns of phrase.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.