The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Applegate Valley. Hint: it's in Oregon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Applegate Valley. Hint: it's in Oregon

by Hoke » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:19 pm

And it's finally getting some well deserved and long overdue attention.

Down in the southern part of Oregon, between Grant's Pass and Medford, there's this pristine, gorgeous and sun-kissed valley that's quietly been growing grapes and developing a thriving wine industry since the 1970s. While the Wilamette and the Umpqua got most of the attention with their Pinots, both Noir and Gris, the southerly Appelgate and Rogue River areas sort of resided in the shadows. Not any longer, I think.

Although it's grown there, this really isn't prime Pinot Noir country. Inland, and considerably warmer and drier, this is closer to the climatic range for Bordeaux varieties----and now some stunning Tempranillos and Sangioveses are starting to emerge as well.

I sampled a few of these while traversing the valley from North to South. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous, the valley is still bucolic and unspoiled (although I don't know how long that will last now), and it's easy driving past the winding river, the picturesque farms, the horse ranches, and the vineyards. There has been a boom of sorts for the last few years, and there's lots of new winery/tasting room operations dotted throughout the valley that aren't even on the official map yet, so it's still something of a surprise what you'll find.

There's something for everyone, from the long established highlights of the area, Valley View Vineyards (and trust me, there's a great valley view) and old reliable Bridgeview, to such new places as the fun tasting room (stuffed with some great and intriguing wines and impressive people) at Fiasco WInery and Fun Faire (aka Jacksonville Vineyards as well). There's also Troon Vineyards and Winery up-valley. Formerly owned by Mr. Troon (fortunately, a Scot, not a Pole), and now owned and run by part of the Quady family of California wine reknown, they have some intriguing wines, and the advantage of having some of the older vineyards in that part of the valley.

Easy to get there. If you're coming from the south, it's just south and slightly west of Grant's Pass, then a leisurely drive down to the great little tourist town of Jacksonville. Or if you're in an unconscionable hurry, you can jump back onto I-5 and bypass Jacksonville, but you'd be foolish to do so. If you're starting form the South you can either meander over from Medford to Jacksonville, then up, or you can charge further up I-5 and zip over to the Applegate on Hwy. 238.

Either way you can stop at some interesting and varied wineries, from tiny to surprisingly large, all along the valley. You'll meet some welcoming people and find some lovely wines.

My tip is check out the surprising number of Tempranillos on offer. The Applegate may turn out to be a place ideally suited for this variety on the west coast. I was quite impressed. Another delight was the Sangiovese; it's proven to be somewhat problematic for California, but it may be another variety particularly suited to the sunny slopes of the Applegate. I certainly found some good ones (particularly at the aforementioned Fiasco). The various and sundry combos of Bordeaux varieties were pretty damned good too. There's some nice, restrained (and, yes, I know the word restrained doesn't always go well with the variety, but as the Argentinians have proven, it's possible) Malbec. I liked them enough, I even took home a few bottles. Even some Merlot!
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: Applegate Valley. Hint: it's in Oregon

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 pm

I know Thom Elkjer, he of the wine-writing persuasion, has a family vineyard project out there, involving, last I knew, primarily Rhonish grapes. And there's old Mike Higgins out there, used to be a Bay Area retailer for many years, and inventor (you could look it up) of the name Rhone Rangers, lives out there, too, though perhaps not actively involved in the trade these days. (He's older than I am, and if you listen to Hoke, that's REALLY old.) :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:I know Thom Elkjer, he of the wine-writing persuasion, has a family vineyard project out there, involving, last I knew, primarily Rhonish grapes. And there's old Mike Higgins out there, used to be a Bay Area retailer for many years, and inventor (you could look it up) of the name Rhone Rangers, lives out there, too, though perhaps not actively involved in the trade these days. (He's older than I am, and if you listen to Hoke, that's REALLY old.) :D

It's true: I look up to Steve as one of my respected elders.

We did have some wines of the Rhonish persuasion while there. Roxi liked some of the Syrahs, as I recall. And I saw, but did not taste, several Viogniers. Most tantalizing though, was Troon had an upcoming release of their first Vermentino, 2008, but it was just a couple of weeks short of release and therefore not available for tasting.

And although it's not Applegate, a deserved shout out to Del Rio Vineyards in Gold Hill, right off I-5, and well worth a stop. Lovely people, an interesting tasting room (old hotel, telegraph station and stage stop in days of yore for Rock Point, a town of yore because it doesn't exist any more) and some surprisingly good wines. I didn't expect much, frankly, but got more than I thought I would. Supernally ugly and clunky labels though: they need an expensive consultant to gouge them for money and come up with new designs.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Reviewing what I wrote, I realize I neglected to include mention of the Del Rio Syrah, which was clearly one of the better wines we had at the tasting room that day.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of hitting Crater Lake this year, and Applegate would be a welcome add-on. I visited a couple of wineries in the Umpqua Valley many moons ago, but recall little.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of hitting Crater Lake this year, and Applegate would be a welcome add-on. I visited a couple of wineries in the Umpqua Valley many moons ago, but recall little.

LOL! The primary reason I went to the Applegate this recent trip was that they wanted to take me to Crater Lake---but it was still closed due to weather. 8)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:04 pm

"They?"

The Applegate Valley winemakers' association?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:"They?"

The Applegate Valley winemakers' association?

Yea, right.

The in-laws, who live in Eagle Point. Right on the Robert Trent Jones golf course. Literally. If you go to that area, Sammy's New Cowboy Bistro in Talent/Ashland is worth a trip (ask Lou Kessler). Also in downtown Medford, Elements tapas bar. Vibrant atmosphere and they really try to put out the good food and wine.

You should be able to do the Rogue River Valley and Applegate for wine without breaking a sweat.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:13 pm

But did you visit Oregon Vortex?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:20 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:But did you visit Oregon Vortex?

I did!

Froze my ass off, but had fun. It actually snowed on us there. Weird day. Almost 70 degrees the next day in the Applegate.

Went to an alpaca farm. Went to Gold Hill, and went to the Vortex. Got taller, and got shorter, and got bent. 8)

It was actually pretty cool, Mark.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Hoke wrote:Went to Gold Hill, and went to the Vortex. Got taller, and got shorter, and got bent.

It was actually pretty cool, Mark.

Great! I actually wondered if it was still there. I used to visit relatives in Ashland in the late 60's and was probably almost that far back when I had the pleasure. It and the Mystery Spot near Santa Cruz are very close kin. Good fun.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:58 pm

I noticed you didn't go to Sammy's. Closed this time of the year? :o
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:57 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:I noticed you didn't go to Sammy's. Closed this time of the year? :o

Couldn't get the old folks to rattle all the way down to Ashland. Or, technically, Talent.