The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Weekend Notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Weekend Notes

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:55 am

Some interesting wines this weekend:

Domaine de Labarthe Gaillac 2006: For only $14, this was very earthy and savory and multilayered. I've never tried a Gaillac wine before, and this was the one I took home from Back Room Wine's Friday Night tasting.

2004 Fontodi Chianti Classico. Just a tiny sample of this at Elements in Napa. This was a killer Chianti, with plenty of cherry fruit, amazing earthy mouth feel, great leather and tobacco notes. Delicious, if $$$

2007 Camillo Donati Lambrusco. My first Lambrusco. Biodynamic, organic, fantastic. Delicious sprightly, spritzy, and pleasantly "grapey" with plenty of fruit. This simplicity is backed up by a delicious earthyness with quite a touch of funk in a good way. I know Lambrusco is considered simple and not a "fine" wine, but this was so slurpably delicious on a quite warm San Francisco afternoon that I would give this a 90 point score!

2002 H. Posert (Victoria Lane Vineyards) Cabernet Sauvignon. The alcohol shows, and they used plenty of oak, BUT, the cherry-cassis fruit is absolutely outstanding and juicy-delicious, and I overall rather enjoyed this Saint Helena Cabernet. Only seven barrels made, so no more left. :( 85 points. Made by a PR executive in the valley from a 1/2 acre vineyard! Commentary here: http://www.napawineproject.com/Napa-Wineries/?ltr=h

2003 Northstar Merlot Columbia Valley. Darker in color than the Cab above. Roasted, savory, merlot emphasizing dark fruit and earth. Solid wine. Not too exciting, though. 84 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Weekend Notes

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:12 pm

I have been so hooked on Felsina that I have totally overlooked Fontodi for the last 8 years. I need to fix that.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Brian
Lambrusco may not be considered fine by some, but it can be a belter of a food match with picnic salumi, cheeses and other nibbles. A real shame we don't see more bottles of proper Lambrusco here. One wine where I see a cork and my spirits raise 8)
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I have been so hooked on Felsina that I have totally overlooked Fontodi for the last 8 years. I need to fix that.

I share with you an appreciation for Felsina, but this Fontodi was quite fine. I wonder if I over-payed, but Elements has decent retail prices and it was actually $9 off the retail price, so...
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:13 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I have been so hooked on Felsina that I have totally overlooked Fontodi for the last 8 years. I need to fix that.

Both classic in 2004 , though the Fontodi is (typically to me) a bit bigger and more in need of cellar time.

Who needs"fine", I love good Lambrusco in the right setting.