The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Chamboureau Savennieres Roche aux Moines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2002 Chamboureau Savennieres Roche aux Moines

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 am

2002 Chateau de Chamboureau Savennieres Roche aux Moines 14.5%
Was curious to try this because it is made from botrytized chenin blanc grapes vinified dry. Notes from two years ago (from Rahsaan and others) suggested it wasn't ready at the time, but I figured that by now it would have woken up, so I overcame the fear of travel shock.

Color is honey gold, consistent with a botrytized dessert wine. Aromas of dried apricots, almonds, light botrytis and a hint of oxidation (good thing we were having it with a chunk of Comte). The palate confirms the multiple layers, and it is indeed dry, something that would have generated considerable perplexity had we not been expecting it. The acidity and sweetness are in good balance, but Marcia remarks that they taper off somewhat suddenly, leaving a considerably longer wake of pleasant bitterness. Becomes more integrated with food and air. A peculiar, idiosyncratic wine, which appealed more to the desire for exploration than to the pleasure endorphin generators.

If I had I ordered it at a local restaurant without knowing anything about it, I would have sent it back. The sommelier would have said "but, sir, it is meant to be this way," to which I would have said "excuse me, but do you think I am some kind of idiot with no wine experience?" Thank goodness this never happened, but it is amazing how important a role expectations play.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 2002 Chamboureau Savennieres Roche aux Moines

by Tim York » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:25 am

Oswaldo, did you see my last Saturday's note on the same viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23396 . I did not realise that the grapes were partly botrytised.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:24 am

Tim York wrote:Oswaldo, did you see my last Saturday's note on the same viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23396 . I did not realise that the grapes were partly botrytised.

I totally missed that, Tim, what a coincidence! Mine cost about $36, far from €10 but still enticing for a 2002 Roche aux Moines (though I won't be buying more). Your (much more complete) note suggests a somewhat different experience, with no almonds or oxidation.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:58 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Your note suggests a somewhat different experience, with no almonds or oxidation.

There was no sherry type oxidation on my bottle because I was on the look out for it but some people say that honeyed/honeysuckle aromas are a sign of incipient oxidation. As for the almonds, having read your note I would probably now find them.

I have just read part of Jamie Goode's book on wine and science where he reports experiments showing how open to suggestion most tasters are. :shock:
Tim York
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:11 am

Tim York wrote:I have just read part of Jamie Goode's book on wine and science where he reports experiments showing how open to suggestion most tasters are. :shock:

Embarassingly true. I am almost proud of myself when Marcia finds something there that I can't confirm!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:27 am

I have just read part of Jamie Goode's book on wine and science where he reports experiments showing how open to suggestion most tasters are.

Great read eh Tim. I just read bits and pieces from time to time.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:56 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:If I had I ordered it at a local restaurant without knowing anything about it, I would have sent it back. The sommelier would have said "but, sir, it is meant to be this way"

I don't know. I'm not sure anyone knows how these wines are supposed to be. Especially given the difference between your bottle and Tim's bottle. I don't know how much storage has to do with those differences but the aging curve of many of these recent Savennieres wines is turning out to be quite tricky.

Interesting info about the domaine in Tim's post, lots of movement in the area.