The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2 WTN's and a funny encounter...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:06 pm

2 WTN's and a funny encounter...

by David Z » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:16 am

2007 "Andezon" Cotes du Rhone: Lots of black fruit and pepper-I would guess this is more on the Syrah side of the Rhone blend. Smells like the whole family of mint-family-related herbs: oregano, mint, thyme, etc. A smidge high on the alcohol (its listed at 14%, but maybe that's what she weighed in high school), a smidge low on the structure. Nice, especially for a cheap bottle.

2004 Scavino Barolo: It is what it is. Modern-style barolo from a good vintage. Carmel oak, vivid purple fruit and floral aromatics. Tannic as hell- benefitted from being drunk with meat. I didn't catch the alcohol content on the label, but it definitely felt "heady". From half, off the excellent list at Il Capriccio in Waltham, MA.

My girlfriend and I frequently have dinner in the bar room at Il Capriccio, and there's often a lot of conversation between tables. Last night we ended up chatting with an older couple next to us who turned out to be the Giguieres, founders of R.H. Phillips. Very charming and friendly people! (We talked about Tempranillo.)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: 2 WTN's and a funny encounter...

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:29 am

R H Phillips....have not seen their wines for a while. Good QPR in my book, must look around for this months Focus. Toasted Head Chardonnay was always readily available.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:18 pm

David Z wrote:My girlfriend and I frequently have dinner in the bar room at Il Capriccio, and there's often a lot of conversation between tables. Last night we ended up chatting with an older couple next to us who turned out to be the Giguieres, founders of R.H. Phillips. Very charming and friendly people! (We talked about Tempranillo.)

That's fun! Had a recent experience like that too, where the woman turned out to be the cousin of the founder of New Zealand's Villa Maria winery who she was heading out in a few days to spend a few weeks with. The fact that we not only knew of the wines but had been to the winery outselves, were conversant on various bottlings and even owned some of the single vineyard stuff was enough to make us BFFs for the night.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Lucky people. The only folks you can strike up a conversation with at a bar around are those who just bought their second skidder.
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:51 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:R H Phillips....have not seen their wines for a while. Good QPR in my book, must look around for this months Focus. Toasted Head Chardonnay was always readily available.

They sold their firm to one of the big multinationals, they said..I think perhaps it was Constellation? They had managed RH Phillips and Hogue for 5 years after they were acquired, and now had started a new winery:

http://www.crewwines.com/

Apparently, they're focusing on Spanish varietals b/c they think they'll do well in their Central Valley location since they're successful in the hot Spanish climate.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Scavino is usually a little much on the modern style for me but an 04 is really too young even for infanticide. You're a brave man even to try drinking a decent Barolo at that age. :roll:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:22 pm

The 2001 Scavino Barolo is still a total infant and very tannic.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Z

Rank

Ultra geek

by David Z » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:32 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Scavino is usually a little much on the modern style for me but an 04 is really too young even for infanticide. You're a brave man even to try drinking a decent Barolo at that age. :roll:

You're talking to a man who cracks open a bottle of Chateau Pradeaux right after it's released. I have a masochistic side.

FWIW, I like modern Barolo young, when it smells like you've literally coated the glass with violet petals. I know this makes me a barbarian.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Has Domaine de Andezon solved its quality problems? About a decade ago they were really hit and miss--one bottle would be fantastic and the next would have major flaws and be undrinkably bad. The QPR was excellent for the good bottles, but they were something of a crap shoot. If I was bringing De Andezon somewhere, I always brought an extra bottle or two just in case the first one was bad.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:13 pm

David Z wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:Scavino is usually a little much on the modern style for me but an 04 is really too young even for infanticide. You're a brave man even to try drinking a decent Barolo at that age. :roll:

You're talking to a man who cracks open a bottle of Chateau Pradeaux right after it's released. I have a masochistic side.

FWIW, I like modern Barolo young, when it smells like you've literally coated the glass with violet petals. I know this makes me a barbarian.

I don't know about the barbarian bit, but I will admit you must have taste buds made of steel! :roll:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:22 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Has Domaine de Andezon solved its quality problems? About a decade ago they were really hit and miss--one bottle would be fantastic and the next would have major flaws and be undrinkably bad. The QPR was excellent for the good bottles, but they were something of a crap shoot. If I was bringing De Andezon somewhere, I always brought an extra bottle or two just in case the first one was bad.

I remember those variable bottles. In fact, I was commenting not long ago to a friend about how it seemed in late 90s that the larger production Cotes du Rhones (Jaboulet's Parallel 45 being prime example) were the last bastions of great bottle (or batch) variation.

David, pretty sure unless they changed recently, that the Domaine d'Andezon CdR is all Syrah, so your perceptions were on the money.