The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Barde-Haut St. Emilion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1999 Barde-Haut St. Emilion

by Jenise » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:16 am

So a guy in New York posts a tasting note about a '98 St. Emilion which causes a guy in Brazil to say hey I'll open a '98 Barde-Haut tonight which in turn causes a gal in Northern Washington state to say good idea, I'll open one too. This is what's so cool about discussing wine on the internet.

Only the gal, me, didn't have '98 Barde-Haut after all. I had '99 which I would have passed on in favor of a '98 St. Emilion since the drinkability of lower echelon wines from that appellation was in fact the topic, but I couldn't seem to locate the only '98 St. Emilion in my inventory so we opened the '99 Barde-Haut anyway. And am I glad. Sporting a big, highly aromatic and earthy nose that could be nothing but Bordeaux, it displayed black cherry fruit, cigar tobacco, cola, leather and bourbon barrel. On the palate, all of those things with adequate acidity and a satisfying sweetness that slow dances into a rich finish. More rustic than elegant but not without some sophistication, the tannins are still evident and become a bit more noticeable as the wine lingers into it's third hour, but only just and the fruit never faded away as I halfway feared it would in this unreliable vintage. Overall quite delicious and in a peak phase for current drinking. It was so good, in fact, that though I'm under the weather and had no intention of having more than just a few sips, I did a little better than that. :oops:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 1999 Barde-Haut St. Emilion

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:46 am

That's great! Now I'm inspired to open a 97 Barde Haut tonight just to complete the mini-vertical.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:04 am

Do! I, in turn, need to see if I have any other 99 St. Em's!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:16 am

I have a few '99s. Perhaps I will open a Moulin St. Georges this week (not tonight - I'm having swordfish).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:03 am

thanks for posting note, even if it wasn't what you thought you had!
I think all but the biggest and/or most traditional '99s are drinking pretty well now. I see the only Right Bankers I have left are Pavie-Mac and Roc de Cambes, and seeing the latter reminds me time to drink up!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:23 am

Sounds like the 99 showed a lot more than the 2000, which I found OK but not really very interesting :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:45 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Sounds like the 99 showed a lot more than the 2000, which I found OK but not really very interesting :)

You'd have definitely found this interesting. Everything good about it, and there is a lot, was totally on display (saying so makes me realize how rarely I think that's the case). I suspect your 2000 might have simply been not ready to go. Here's a bonus WTN: neither was the 2000 Lannessan I opened a few weeks ago. It obviously will have more to show for itself 2-3 years down the road, but for now it's taut and unyielding. Let them sleep.

I have some 2001 BH's I'm tempted to get into, but now that I know what maturity does for them I am loathe to disturb any babies. And I expect the 01's will take longer than the ten years the 99's took to reach this point.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:58 am

ok.. So I won't open the 2000 after all the discouraging comments!!

But CT tells me I have some 3 cases of St. Emilion, from Pavie to Monbousquet to Troplong Mondot, Clos de Sarpe and the wonderful Bellefont Belcier; the latter has been a real surprise to me.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:07 pm

James Dietz wrote:ok.. So I won't open the 2000 after all the discouraging comments!!

But CT tells me I have some 3 cases of St. Emilion, from Pavie to Monbousquet to Troplong Mondot, Clos de Sarpe and the wonderful Bellefont Belcier; the latter has been a real surprise to me.

Lucky you! I've not had the latter two--what's the surprise about?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:11 pm

I said I wasn't going to open a Bordeax because I was having swordfish, but all this talk & I could not help myself.

Unfortunately the '99s were hard to access, so I ended up with the 2000 Dame de Montrose. Good time to drink it, but no hurry.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:22 pm

Jenise wrote:I have some 2001 BH's I'm tempted to get into, but now that I know what maturity does for them I am loathe to disturb any babies. And I expect the 01's will take longer than the ten years the 99's took to reach this point.

I second that intuition, I opened a 01 BH (as part of a St. Emilion trio) a few weeks ago and it was a disappointment. Wait a few more years...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:25 pm

Jenise wrote:
James Dietz wrote:ok.. So I won't open the 2000 after all the discouraging comments!!

Lucky you! I've not had the latter two--what's the surprise about?

For the price point (mid-$40s), the Bellefont Belcier is terrific... and I'm talking the 2005, which, with a little air time, shows extremely well. Very traditionally made.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:29 pm

I took a 2000 Bard-Haut to MoCool last August and with 5 hrs. of breathing in a craf (actually a glass coffee pot) I found it to be quite wonderful.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 pm

James Dietz wrote:For the price point (mid-$40s), the Bellefont Belcier is terrific... and I'm talking the 2005, which, with a little air time, shows extremely well. Very traditionally made.

I'll make a point of seeking that out, then--have to say I really like St. Emilions and have quite a few since the American market seems to underappreciate these wines. They're what goes for cheap, anyway, on the secondary market.

You and I are in a pretty nice place now WRT to Bordeaux, all those 98s and 99's we bought at Overstreets all those years ago are starting to hit their stride, aren't they? I have finally arrived at the point I most wanted to be, where I can pluck a nicely aged bottle of Bordeaux out of my cellar any time I want to with wines at both the every day and luxury end of things. Been drinking mostly the 99's, and haven't so much started on the 98's yet though.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Jenise wrote:.

You and I are in a pretty nice place now WRT to Bordeaux, all those 98s and 99's we bought at Overstreets all those years ago are starting to hit their stride, aren't they? I have finally arrived at the point I most wanted to be, where I can pluck a nicely aged bottle of Bordeaux out of my cellar any time I want to with wines at both the every day and luxury end of things. Been drinking mostly the 99's, and haven't so much started on the 98's yet though.

I think I've drunk up a lot of those we bought, though I never bought as many as you did!! I still have the 1999 Château Grand Corbin-Despagne that I think I may have bought with you. The 1999 Leoville Barton has continued to impress me, and I've restocked a couple of times. It just drinks beautifully, and it is still available for sub-$50, which is, to me, a great price for a wine of this quality.

I'm doing a dinner this Saturday for a few friends; here's what's on tap from my side.

1982 Leoville Barton
1982 Leoville Las Cases

1987 Montelena Estate

1991 Ridge Monte Bello; along with this, someone is bringing the 1991 Ridge Santa Cruz Cabernet and another the 1991 Ridge Jimsomare Cab

There will be some vintage Champange (I'm hoping a Krug) and some vintage Port too.

Life is good.

Hey.. Bob was way ahead of his time.. .his `I love you, man' is now a movie..I hope he gets some royalties!!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:09 pm

James Dietz wrote: the Bellefont Belcier is terrific... and I'm talking the 2005, which, with a little air time, shows extremely well. Very traditionally made.

I'm surprised, I've only tasted Bellefont Belcier once, but thought it quite modern. But that was a little pour at a store tasting, and only a hazy memory, but has colored my perceptions since. I've never bought it. Will reconsider.

I think this isn't the best time to be drinking a lot of 2000s, even modern ones, unless (a)you have seen specific notes or (b) you give a multi-hour decant.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:31 am

James Dietz wrote:
I think I've drunk up a lot of those we bought, though I never bought as many as you did!! I still have the 1999 Château Grand Corbin-Despagne that I think I may have bought with you. The 1999 Leoville Barton has continued to impress me, and I've restocked a couple of times. It just drinks beautifully, and it is still available for sub-$50, which is, to me, a great price for a wine of this quality.

I bought at least three of everything they had or reccomended and have not drunk anything down to zero yet, and Grand Corbin-Despagne is not among them so I think that must have been one you found elsewhere. Unless you went back on a day I didn't go and found different stock.

1982 Leoville Barton
1982 Leoville Las Cases
1987 Montelena Estate
1991 Ridge Monte Bello

You've really put some prize fighters in your ring; all great wines of course, of which I may envy you the '91 Monte Bello the most. I've had it, and it's incredible.

Hey.. Bob was way ahead of his time.. .his `I love you, man' is now a movie...

And you were his first love!