The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Chateau Barde-Haut St.-Émilion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 1998 Chateau Barde-Haut St.-Émilion

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:38 am

1998 Chateau Barde-Haut St.-Émilion 12.5%
Opened an hour before serving. Perfect cork, with no lateral stains. Slight "rotten egg" smell from bottleneck (H2O?) dissipates by the time it is poured. Lovely aromas of ripe black currant and cherry. Marcia also smelled a strong note of damp forest floor (we usually confirm each other's impressions, but not here). I expected the acidity to be lacking, but it was quite present, a good match for the sweetness. Additional, but faint, flavors of coffee, leather and cedar emerge with air. The tannins are soft and the alcohol well integrated, though clearly higher than the 12.5% announced on the label (the importer's label says 11%-14%). Definitely awake for drinking and should last several years more. In short, a very good experience, but I can't say that age has invested this with the kind of class and complexity that I would expect from a fine and mature Bordeaux.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see the latter half of the 90s as the period when the first significant wave of so-called Parkerized wines started to emerge. That would mean that only now are we entering a phase when, for the first time, we can begin to evaluate how such wines mature, a test that has implications, to some extent, for all wines made in the international style. The question (for me, at least) is whether they were a kind of Faustian pact, sacrificing complexity and longevity for the sake of short-term impact in mass, blind-tasting situations. This wine is, I think, a relatively early (and by no means egregious) example of this trend, but my intuition is that something was sacrificed.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1998 Chateau Barde-Haut St.-Émilion

by Jenise » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:31 am

Just posted my note on our 99, and I can see a lot of similarity: though my bottle was clearly more open and expressive than yours, your coffee is probably my cola, your cedar is my bourbon barrel, and so on. And where you were unfortunately disappointed not to find the class and complexity you expect of Bordeaux in the 98, we found both in our bottle and were in fact impressed/relieved to find this wine showing as well as it did since this is our first taste of this small stash, and I really should have dipped into them before now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 1998 Chateau Barde-Haut St.-Émilion

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks for note. I drank my last one this fall, notes weren't too dissimilar, though I found less acidity than you:
A very nice modern styled Bordeaux that is drinking right at
peak for my tastes now- chocolate, toast, and flowers over a very
solid base of blackcurrant and blackberry fruit. Ripe and lush, some
tannins but they're quite supple, good length. This is quite lively
and maybe could age more, but it's quite low acid and I generally
think better safe than sorry with the fat ones. Holds up quite well
till tonight, though, I'm often wrong. B+/A-

I don't especially regard it as something sacrificed, just something different. I'm happy to have a few modern St Emilions to drink while waiting for the Canons, Magdelaines, Soutards, Figeacs , and Pavie-Macquin (know that one will be controversial) to age.