The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner out with Oliver and Remo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

WTN: Dinner out with Oliver and Remo

by David from Switzerland » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Christian begged off due to some soccer game – I will spare you my sentiments on the importance of sports events. All wines ordered from a restaurant wine list.

Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande Pauillac 2000
I am glad I convinced Oliver of refusing the bottle of Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande 2000, which did not smell of TCA at all, but was muted on the nose, and short and slightly bitter on the palate, and ordering the Guigal instead, even though it was a little costlier - actually, I virtually coerced him to do so, but he ended up being very happy with the Rhône wine, too. Earlier bottles of the PLL 2000 had at the same restaurant were great, but the owner would take this one back only if we ordered something different instead. My guess is that sometime later tonight, when he gets to sit down in peace and retaste this, as he said he would, he will recognize it is really an off bottle, probably cork-tainted despite the absence of that wet cardboard like aroma. Rating: N/R

Château Léoville Las Cases St. Julien 1995
Deep ruby-black, watery-ruby at the rim. Sweet marzipan and softer vanilla oak. Classic and already harmonious cedar, blackcurrant and blackberry, noble tobacco, lovely vinosity, well-balanced, smooth yet racy, and very long. Not nearly as closed as I had feared it might be, on the contrary. Nowhere near the concentration, power, complexity and intensity of the greatest LLCs (e.g. the 1982 and 1986), nor even a heavyweight in the context of the 1995 vintage (neither weightier nor even “better” than the Ducru-Beaucaillou), but a pretty, delicious medium-plus weight that my companions felt went better with the Châteaubriand than the 2001 Ex Voto (which in turn they said was the more fascinating to have on its own). I find LLC interesting insofar as it seems to represent the perfect compromise between depth and modernistic superficiality – almost everybody likes it, experts keep extolling its reliability year in, year out, and yet, I know of no one whose favourite Château it is. Even so, in terms of stylistic modernism alone, it really has been superseded somewhere along the line – it somehow escaped my notice when exactly that happened. ;) Rating: 93+/94?

Guigal Ermitage Ex Voto 2001
Ordered to make up for the corked bottle of Pichon-Lalande 2000. Produced from vines in l’Ermite, Les Murets, Les Greffieux, and Les Bessards. Full plummy ruby colour. Huge bacon fat, lightly jammy yet subtle and deep red and dark berry mix, amazingly well-integrated oak (aged in new oak for 42 months, no less!), nice but equally as integrated metal notes and minerality, very long on the finish. With airing a little smoked salmon, perfectly interwoven with the marzipan sweetness from the barrique (still did not smell nor taste oaky), cranberry and strawberry with perhaps a hint of milk chocolate, some pipe tobacco, touches of olive and smoky dried herbs. Quite big, rich and thick, but not at all over the top. Round tannin and acidity. Stylistically different from (not so much as we had expected), but as good as (or close to) the Chave in this vintage, and rather more approachable (this only started closing down after a couple of hours, with the solid tannic backbone becoming fractionally more noticeable). Rating: 94+/~95?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dinner out with Oliver and Remo

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Sad to hear about the Pichon Lalande. The Las Cases sounds lovely. I'm more of a Barton fan, but I think that has a lot to do with pricing, thus my ability to develop a drinking relationship with Barton & not with Las Cases.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

by David from Switzerland » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Sad to hear about the Pichon Lalande. The Las Cases sounds lovely. I'm more of a Barton fan, but I think that has a lot to do with pricing, thus my ability to develop a drinking relationship with Barton & not with Las Cases.

Have you lately had the 1995 Barton? I was really surprised by how open the Las Cases was tonight. By the way, you may know that insiders/locals claim Poyferré has the greatest terroir of the three Léovilles, but of course they produced mostly crappy wines for decades, and there is no real track record yet since the Château changed hands (= curious to see how the modern Poyferrés are going to evolve in bottle).

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:32 pm

I last had the 1995 Barton about 2 years ago during a massive Barton vertical. All I recall right now is that it was not nearly as forbidding as we expected. There might be notes in the archive.

I really like all three of the Leovilles. One of my favorite Bordeaux experiences was a bottle of the 1985 Poyferre. I'm cellaring 2000, 2001 and 2002 (stopped after that due to the usual issue - pricing), so I'll get to see how they evolve in due time.
no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

by David from Switzerland » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:13 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I last had the 1995 Barton about 2 years ago during a massive Barton vertical. All I recall right now is that it was not nearly as forbidding as we expected. There might be notes in the archive.

I really like all three of the Leovilles. One of my favorite Bordeaux experiences was a bottle of the 1985 Poyferre. I'm cellaring 2000, 2001 and 2002 (stopped after that due to the usual issue - pricing), so I'll get to see how they evolve in due time.

I must have posted tasting notes on both the 2000 and 2001 in recent months. The latter is quite pretty and already drinking well (as are many if not most 2001s), the former needs more time, of course. I also thought the 2004 a relative success - are 2004s even more expensive in the U.S. than e.g. 2000s (I remember we had a similar discussion on some other 2004 Bordeaux recently, forget which)? That wouldn't make sense to me. Of course the 2003 is another relative success. Some people keep griping about Poyferré's new style (not sure what to make of it yet, I'm a slow thinker), and then, when I ask them which vintages they used to like "better" from under the old regime, they invariably quote e.g. 1990, 1982, 1961... ;)

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:26 am

The 2004 is relatively inexpensive when you can find it. 2003 and 2005 (and really 2000 - I only have 1) took Poyferre into a price region I rarely visit for Bordeaux.

I've witnessed knee-jerk reactions on Poyferre in both directions. Most have been the "not as good as the '90/'82" variety (we could have a long discussion regarding the value of "great" vintages versus "not great" vintages), but there have been more than a few that longed for the old days when Poyferre frequently underperformed, displaying green, stemmy elements and rough tannins.
no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

by David from Switzerland » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The 2004 is relatively inexpensive when you can find it. 2003 and 2005 (and really 2000 - I only have 1) took Poyferre into a price region I rarely visit for Bordeaux.

I've witnessed knee-jerk reactions on Poyferre in both directions. Most have been the "not as good as the '90/'82" variety (we could have a long discussion regarding the value of "great" vintages versus "not great" vintages), but there have been more than a few that longed for the old days when Poyferre frequently underperformed, displaying green, stemmy elements and rough tannins.

To be quite honest, some people simply tend to glorify the past (I am guilty of the same: "The older I get, the better I used to be"). The truth is that even the 1982 was really "worth it" only if one bought it preferably on subscription, at release, or shortly thereafter - as good as it is, it's no "better" than the best of the new regime's efforts, it's merely more mature (= of course I'd prefer to have a 1982 tonight than a young wine, but then, who wouldn't?). We'll have to see what and how much of a difference the new style makes once the new wines approach maturity - in general, I rarely seem to be as worried as those who lack patience anyhow.