The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BTN: The Making of a Great Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

BTN: The Making of a Great Wine

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:47 am

Just finished reading The Making of a Great Wine: Gaja and Sori San Lorenzo by Edward Steinberg, 1992. The first half is interesting but unremarkable but the second half is indispensable for anyone interested in the myriad decisions that go into vinification, racking, fining and filtration. The descriptions of bacteria and yeasts and everything that can go wrong manage to be fascinating and are highly enlightening. Guido Rivella, the winemaker at Gaja, comes across quite convincingly as driven to perfection but judicious and non-dogmatic. Towards the end, there are excellent sections on seeking out the right staves for barriques and their correct seasoning, as well as seeking out the best corks. The former completely changed the way I think of barrels; the quixotic search for the latter only served to increase my prejudice against bark. This is such a treasure trove of information that I intend to re-read the second half with a magic marker. It is a succint course in wine-making that reads like a novel. Would love it if everyone on the board could read this (out of print, but easy to find on Amazon)!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: BTN: The Making of a Great Wine

by Anders Källberg » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:39 pm

Oswaldo, I read this book already when it was new. One reason for buying it was in fact that I met the author in Rome in 1988 when he worked at an excellent enoteca Fratelli Roffi Isabelli, IIRC. He gave me and a couple of wine loving friends some memorable wines to taste there. The most memorable being Giacomo Conterno's 1970 Monfortino, which is one of those wines that still shines the most in my memory. I don't remember too many details from the book, though, so I guess I need to make a search through my bookshelves and reread it.

Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Oswaldo, I read this book already when it was new. One reason for buying it was in fact that I met the author in Rome in 1988 when he worked at an excellent enoteca Fratelli Roffi Isabelli, IIRC. He gave me and a couple of wine loving friends some memorable wines to taste there.

The writer is obviously a character. Perhaps the book was less memorable when published because some of the discussions, like those about oak, sulfites and corks, were probably ahead of their time. But now they resonate as very much contemporary concerns.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:52 pm

I read the book years ago and just loved it.

A couple of weeks ago I opened a bottle of 1989 Gaja Sperss, and I have to say it all came back to me.

F