The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burgundy lunch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Burgundy lunch

by Jay Labrador » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:27 am

Notes from Friday lunch at Je Suis Gourmand. Chef Marc prepared a magnificent meal of kidneys but, tempted as I was, I decided to forgo the special menu and just ordered a la carte as fear of gout got the better of me.

All Burgundy except for a sparkling starter and dessert.

Aimery Cremant de Limoux Grande Cuvee 1531 Brut - Dry, leafy. Abrupt finish. Decent but not too interesting.

Leroy Bourgogne 2004 - Beautiful aroma. Light, lean and very tart. I enjoyed this very much the first time I tried it a few months back but it was not showing well at this lunch. Seemed to lack fruit. Is this a bad bottle or is the wine in a bad place now?

Comtes de Lafon Volany Santenots du Milieu 1er Cru 2002 - Deep color and equally deep aromas of ripe fruit. Dry and firm but quite ready. Very good concentration of fruit. Smoky wood and caramel. Lots of complexity. A little tight on the finish with a refreshing acidity. Very good now but will no doubt improve even more.

Daniel Rion Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2001 - Sweet fruit and bittersweet chocolate. Very good.

Faiveley Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Damodes 1999 - Attractive, sweet nose. Menthol. Meaty, concentrated wine. Very tight. Dry and a little leafy. Very tannic. My only bottle but those who have this should probably wait at least another 5 years before trying it.

On to dessert:

Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey 1988 - Deep gold. Burnt sugar and caramel. Lightish and not all that sweet. This has some prominent acidity. Some tobacco adds a nice touch. Rather easy to drink. Good, solid wine.

Peller Oak-aged Vidal Icewine 2005 - Honey. Rich texture with high acidity. Passionfruit, pineapple and peach. Good stuff.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Burgundy lunch

by Jenise » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm surprised the Rion CV was showing so well this young--my experience with the few bottles I've been lucky enough to own was that they need ten minimum.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov