The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Mas Lumen Coteaux du Languedoc La Sylve

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ken McGrath

Rank

Just got here

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:03 pm

WTN: 2001 Mas Lumen Coteaux du Languedoc La Sylve

by Ken McGrath » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:28 pm

Pulled this from my cellar tonight and gave it a couple of hours in the decanter. It was really singing...

Deep, dark red, clings to the sides of the glass. Raspberries, earth and flowers (violets?) on the nose. In the mouth this is ripe, creamy, full bodied, loaded with fruit but by no means in your face. On the back end there is spice and pepper and a little heat, with the fruit and well integrated tannins hanging on and on. Very good.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2001 Mas Lumen Coteaux du Languedoc La Sylve

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:01 am

Good to see we have gained another Languedoc-fancier! There are a few fans here but mostly outnumbered by the Loire-heads.
Ken, what did you pay for your little gem?
no avatar
User

Ken McGrath

Rank

Just got here

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:03 pm

by Ken McGrath » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:09 am

Bob,
I paid $23 for this nice Syrah blend. Bought it blind based on the price and the double 92 scores from WA and IWC. I actually have very little from Southern France but this wine sure makes me appreciate what can be done in the region. I understand 2007 was excellent, anything currently available that I should try?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:07 pm

I am up here in Alberta so best do a search here on the forum for "Languedoc". Over 600 hits so you should get some ideas eh.