The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pie in the Face

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: Pie in the Face

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:26 pm

2005 Jean Foillard Morgon Cote du Py 13.0%
Like a genie, once the cro magnon wax seal is out of the way, out come the lovely church incense aromas that seem to be a hallmark of mature Gang of Five Morgons. Darker than usual for Bojo, closer to garnet than strawberry, with ripe but not jammy cherry. The fruit is framed, like a halo, by those church spice aromas, evocative of swinging pendular movements by orthodox bearded monks. Zingy mouth feel, thanks to some residual secondary fermentation (over time, the petillance fades). Good acidity, with matching sweetness, and a rich and elegant nose of tar and ripe fruit. Free of CO2, the aroma becomes increasingly captivating; could sniff sauvage finesse like this all night long! This 3.14 is in a higher category for Beaujolais, only the slight petillance preventing it from matching the 04 Thevenets opened in the last six months. Most importantly, it feels like honest, uncompromising wine, one whose secondary fermentation is excusable as an unfortunate byproduct of primary integrity; the solitary flaw feels unobtrusive, like the missing limb of an ancient marble statue.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Pie in the Face

by Rahsaan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Sounds great. I know exactly what you mean by pie in the face. This was very promising wine a few years ago. Shame about the slight petillance.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:22 am

Great, another Morgon posting this week. Did not notice "pie" on the Drouhin!
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bob Hower » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:44 am

What's your sense of how this one might age?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:32 am

Bob Hower wrote:What's your sense of how this one might age?

Don't have much of a sense, Bob, since what little predictive ability I've developed over the years applies to "conventionally" sulfured wines. If there are no time bomb aspects waiting to pounce, I'd hazard that this could go another five years (of increasing complexity) before declining.

Except for an 07 Guy Breton that was terrific in Paris in February, all the Gof5 Morgons that I've liked in the last six months have been from 04 or 05, so perhaps they need 4 or 5 years to start showing their magic, after which they will last another 5 if "clean" and correctly stored. Proponents of low/no SO2 wines say there is no reason they shouldn't last as long as sulfured wines as long as they were made correctly (i.e., antiseptically) and then shipped and stored correctly, but that's a big if.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:31 pm

Nice note.