The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Any info on Stonehurst Winery in Hunter Valley?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Any info on Stonehurst Winery in Hunter Valley?

by Jenise » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 pm

Friends of mine are staying there for a week and asked me about the wines. I've never heard of them, but of course I probably haven't heard of 95% of the Hunter Valley wineries, so that's nothing. Just wondered if any of our Aussie friends were familiar.

http://www.cedarcreekcottages.com.au/theFarm/index.htm
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Re: Any info on Stonehurst Winery in Hunter Valley?

by Mark Kogos » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:11 pm

Interesting, I had not heard of them but I checked Halliday and he gives the winery 5 stars. Their 06 chard he gives 94 (which in real world time means around 89) and their 05 shiraz he also gives 94 (see previous comment). I was in the Hunter last week picking up some of the 07 Lakes Folly which makes the only drinkable cab sav to come out of the HV. It is interesting because we are always looking for accomadation in the Hunter for the family. I would be interested to know what your friends think of it.

As for the Hunter, if the weather is good suggest a picnic on the front lawn of the Audrey Wilkinson winery. It is on a hill with fantastic views across the whole valley. As for winerys, if time is short I would suggest focusing on Lake Folly, Tyrells, Boutique Winemakers Centre (try Meera Park and Mountain X), good semillon at Capercaillie Wine Company (they have older semillon, Thomas Kiss shiraz, Keith Tulloch semillon and De Iuliis. Great food at Hungerford Hill and Bimdagen. Avoid Tempus Two and McGuigan. For a special treat there is a fudge shop next to the Cheese Factory that makes an awesome passionfruit fudge among 30 other varieties.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Any info on Stonehurst Winery in Hunter Valley?

by Jenise » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:57 pm

Mark, valuable information, I'll pass it straight along--they're already there. Of those you mention I did reccomend Tyrell's, but also Tower which I think is Len Evans' operation simply because it's Len Evans' operation--haven't had the wines. I'll pass back Robin and Todd's impression of their accomdations--they're good people, and I'd take their word for anything.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov