The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Clos Roche Blanche "Cabernet"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2007 Clos Roche Blanche "Cabernet"

by Brian K Miller » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:35 am

Thursday Night WineStyles Overindulgence.

Loire Valley (Touraine). 12% abv. Louis/Dressner Imports. Under Nomacork. $15.00 or so.
This was somewhat of a surprise. Very plush and elegant mouth feel. Does not taste anything like Bordeaux (and certainly not Cali Cab)-this has that red plum "French Hippy Wine" character, but with very plush tannic structure, good earthyness. The green pepper did come out a little more towards the end, but overall a pleasant quaffer. Somewhat controversial wine, though: some people actively disliked the red plum, which is a distinctive flavor :? Others loved it. 86 points.

2006 Geode Chardonnay Santa Barbara County. This wine was somewhat controversial also. It had a very sharp and to me unpleasant caramel sugar note-I thought the oak really stuck out like a raised middle finger. On the other hand, this wine definitely showed a pronounced minerality which was very interesting. I can't get past that spike of caramel oak, though. 78 points. http://www.geodewines.com/geode_chardonnay.html Those that liked it have a higher tolerance for oaky chardonnay than I do (I can't really drink Rombauer. Rich Black loves it)

2007 Cartlidge and Brown Pinot Noir. This cheapie negociant bottling quite surprised me. Not over-extracted, not sweet, not particularly oaky, balanced alcohol (13.5%). Very drinkable lighter surprisingly "basic Burgundian" style Pinot. Not an awful cherry candy and alcohol wine. Bravo! 83 points.

2007 Schug Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. Lighter color. A little more cherry fruit. But...otherwise my notes would be very similar for the C&B above. Mixed reviews, some preferred this and some preferred the above. Both were drinkable. I liked this slightly more, but at twice the price the QPR comes in. 82 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach