The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need info on wine tasting appointments

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Armand Carriveau

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:46 pm

Need info on wine tasting appointments

by Armand Carriveau » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:25 pm

All the wine tasting I've done has always been at wineries that were open to the general public. What are the protocals for making appointments at those that are not? Are you obligated to purchase, or is it poor form not to? I tasted a Ramey Chard recently and liked it. I'm curious about thier other wines and would like to try some. I'm going to be in the area next weekend and was thinking about giving them a call.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Need info on wine tasting appointments

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Armand Carriveau wrote:What are the protocals for making appointments at those that are not? Are you obligated to purchase, or is it poor form not to?

Depends on the producer. I have no idea about Ramey, but in general some wineries are not open for appointments because they don't make much wine. So they may have a bit for you to taste just for general PR purposes but they will already have sold their entire production and would be doing you a favor by selling.

Other wineries are not open for appointments because they don't have the staff and in many cases they have excess production so it would be polite to buy something after they took special time out to serve you.