The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rhone/Languedoc, Chablis, Tokaji, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Rhone/Languedoc, Chablis, Tokaji, etc

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:05 pm

So we were having friends for dinner last night (originally we were going there, but their dog is a better houseguest than ours, so they brought over the poodle to romp with the Basset). A work emergency made me fear I might have to abandon Betsy and our guests, but it was solved, and we had a good time.

They brought proscuitto and melon, which went well with my opening wine, the NV Pol Roger Brut Champagne. Biscuity nose, lighter bodied style, fairly elegant. B+/B

First sitdown course was a salad of crab, avocado, basil, and baby bok choy. Wine was the 2002 Louis Michel "Montee de Tonnerre" Chablis 1er, which I anticipated being my WOTN. Well, it was my WWOTN (Worst Wine of the Night). It tasted flat and dilute. I thought maybe the avocado was flattening it, but it was the same with or without food. I sniffed and searched hard for cork taint, if it was there it was under my threshold. But this was flat thin boring Chardonnay. C/C+

Main course was a lamb shoulder and white beans with a relish of cilantro, garlic, shallot and lemon. First wine up was 2007 Domaine Rimbert "Les Travers de Marceau" Saint-Chinian. Raspberries and red plums, good acidity, herby nose. Good length, nice. B/B+

Next up was the 2006 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph,. Much bigger, dark fruits, nice bacony edge. Spice/pepper, long clean finish. A middleweight, but with a punch. Should have bought more. A-

With the cheeses the 2003 Tokaj Classic "Cuvee Late Harvest" Tokaji.
Orange marmalade and dried apricots, light botrytis, fairly heavy sugars but with some acidity to keep it lively. Wasn't sure what to expect, I'm more used to puttonyos labeling. This is clearly dessert level, but not as sweet as a 6 putts. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Rhone/Languedoc, Chablis, Tokaji, etc

by Brian K Miller » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Love Gonon...only have one bottle but could probably find more!

The Saint Chinian I tried (a different cuvee) was disappointing-thin and weedy and acid-y. It may have been a bad bottle?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Every time I read a note on that Gonon I'm cursing myself for not buying any of that.

Interesting lineup, sorry to hear about the Chablis though.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Every time I read a note on that Gonon I'm cursing myself for not buying any of that.

Interesting lineup, sorry to hear about the Chablis though.

The white Gonon St Joseph is very good too, worth looking for.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Pierre Gonon is a new name for me. I did a search>>>>>

http://www.jolivin.com/wines_gonon.php

It really sounds like the white would be one I would enjoy. Bob H are you around?
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:33 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Next up was the 2006 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph,. Much bigger, dark fruits, nice bacony edge. Spice/pepper, long clean finish. A middleweight, but with a punch. Should have bought more. A-

Seems open but also a bit young for my tastes. I have a bottle of this. Where do you put the windown when the fruit is still there but where the tannins and rasp reach equilibrium?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Pretty solid bottle, I wouldn't worry about cellaring it another 5-8 years, though I thought the tannins were pretty smooth on this. Someone with some historical perspective on Gonon might have a better idea than me, I'm just guessing.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Pretty solid bottle, I wouldn't worry about cellaring it another 5-8 years, though I thought the tannins were pretty smooth on this. Someone with some historical perspective on Gonon might have a better idea than me, I'm just guessing.

I recently found a couple of his 95 in my cellar and Pierre Gonon who was at a tasting advised me to drink them up without delay. The first bottle was a bit tired but the second was very good. WTNs in the archive.

I must go out and get some of this 06 before it disappears. At €18 here it represents very good QPR.
Tim York