The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Suggestion for a special white

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

Suggestion for a special white

by MichaelRedhill » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:41 am

Hello all --

I'm taking the wife to Guy Savoy in a week's time for a memorable evening, and they have a mind-boggling winelist. So I have a nice problem I'd like your input on.

The wife is not such a fan of red, which regularly breaks my heart, but we've found plenty of French whites we love together, like Condrieu, Carbonnieux, Didier Dagenau's Silex, and others. I wondering what you might propose for something special the night of -- perhaps a top flight Bordeaux? Our budget for a bottle at the restaurant is around 200 euros, but speak freely and don't forget to say which vintages you like!

Thanks --
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Narbonne, France

Re: Suggestion for a special white

by MichaelRedhill » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:55 am

PS: my thoughts are running to:

Lur-Saluces "Y"
Haut Brion Blanc
Pavillon Blanc du Margaux
Domaine de Chevalier Blanc
Chateau Pape Clement Blanc
Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc

??
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:23 am

I would go with a dry Loire chenin blanc from either Huet, Foreau, Baumard or Chidaine. Guy Savoy is bound to have at least one of them. Cannot go wrong!
Last edited by Oswaldo Costa on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:24 am

I have no clue re Guy Savoy's list, so no specific suggestions. If you like white Bordeaux, 1994 and 2001 are probably my 2 favorite vintages. Haut Brion in those vintages is probably more than 200 Euros retail, and most top Paris restaurants aren't shy about markup. You might try the Pape Clement (the reds changed to a more modern style about '98, I haven't tried a recent white) or DDC, or a bit farther down the totem pole La Louviere or Carbonnieux.

Depending on your tastes and what you're ordering, another option might be a top Loire like a Vatan or Cotat Sancerre with some age, or a Huet Vouvray.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 am

Oswaldo, great minds think alike.

Michael, all the wines you list could be impressive (though I've never tried the Ygrec). I will say that Pavillon Blanc always strikes me as good but a bit overpriced. I think it's straight SB, and doesn't have the complexity of a great Graves, but without the deep minerality of a top Loire SB. But that's just based on 3 or 4 tries.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 am

Dale Williams wrote:Oswaldo, great minds think alike.

Michael, all the wines you list could be impressive (though I've never tried the Ygrec). I will say that Pavillon Blanc always strikes me as good but a bit overpriced. I think it's straight SB, and doesn't have the complexity of a great Graves, but without the deep minerality of a top Loire SB. But that's just based on 3 or 4 tries.

:)

I didn't want to fuel Michael's white bordeaux inclination because most of the good ones (Carbonnieux being an exception) are so expensive that I was afraid the price tab might ruin the meal, as it almost did for me at Taillevent a few weeks ago. A dry chenin of comparable quality is not on hedge fund and "new money" radar screens and would cost so much less yet still deliver (perhaps even more) exquisite pleasure.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:27 am

I'm totally at sea with the Loire wines, I'm afraid, so it's good to hear even a small concensus on this. Because I live in Languedoc I almost never encounter chenin blanc. I'm going to go look it up and learn more about it!

On a slight tangent: for floral and subtle, is there any white that gives Condrieu a run for its money? My wife loves Condrieu, but we always drink it out and I want to find something new and exciting ... Could a Chenin Blanc do it for her?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:38 am

MichaelRedhill wrote:On a slight tangent: for floral and subtle, is there any white that gives Condrieu a run for its money? My wife loves Condrieu, but we always drink it out and I want to find something new and exciting ... Could a Chenin Blanc do it for her?

I would most emphatically say yes! It has the advantage of delivering white flowers and subtlety with more acidity than most condrieus. I don't know how your wife feels about acidity but, personally, I just experience that acidity as freshness, as part of good balance, so if she's not specifically averse, it may open a new field for her. And chenin, as a grape for the two of you to explore, has the advantage of being the only one in France offering the whole range, from dry to dessert, with in-between shadings. Good luck and let us know!
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Ygrec will be special.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:08 pm

If you have enjoyed Silex in the past, I wd go with Pur Sang..
Jon