The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: ESJ. Darting, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: ESJ. Darting, etc

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:49 pm

With Betsy away, friends called to invite me for dinner on a couple nights:

With pasta with pesto, the 2004 Piccollo Gavi di Gavi. Light lemon and apple flavors, a light whiff of mineral. A little lacking in concentration, and short on finish. Quaffable but a little dull. B-/C+

With bbq chicken, rice & peas, and asparagus, the 2003 Trinitas Old Vine Cuvee (Contra Costa). A kitchen sink of grapes, including Zinfandel, Carignan, & Alicante (and a few others, maybe Mataro?). Low expectations, but this is actually a pretty flavorful wine. Rich dark berry fruit, some toasted oak notes, quite ripe. Winesearcher says this is $16-20. At that price, this is a pretty decent substitute for a Gigondas, though clearly New World. B

Also over last few nights ,
1999 Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel
Picked up in a closeout bin for cheap. Not faded at all, ripe but with balance and a clean finish. Pretty wine with notes of earth, sweet herbs, and leather adding complexity. B+

2004 Darting Dürkheimer Michelsberg Riesling Kabinett
If you buy this expecting a lightfooted Kabinett, you're screwed. But for what it is quite nice. Peach fruit with orange zest, quite sweet but with a backbone of acidity. Nothing subtle here, but definite QPR here at $12. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: ESJ. Darting, etc

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:17 am

Dale Williams wrote:
2004 Darting Dürkheimer Michelsberg Riesling Kabinett
If you buy this expecting a lightfooted Kabinett, you're screwed. But for what it is quite nice. Peach fruit with orange zest, quite sweet but with a backbone of acidity. Nothing subtle here, but definite QPR here at $12. B

Ain't that the truth (about both kabinett and QPR). I now look to the QbAs when I want a lightfooted kabinett. It's even worse in 2005, with the higher ripeness. There are some delicious kabinetts (look to the 2005 Darting Muscat Kabinett Trocken for a great wine at a great price), but they are few and far between, at least if you want them to taste like kabinett. If you want bargain spatlese and auslese you'll do fine.
Decisions are made by those who show up