The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Another Beau-jolly to relish!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Another Beau-jolly to relish!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Sure been some great notes past few days so thought I would open my second bottle of the `04 Drouhin Morgon. The first bottle was opened 2 yrs ago and was not ready by a long chalk!

WTN: `04 Morgon Joseph Drouhin.

Opened an hour, nice looking cork. Paid around $24 I believe, went nicely with braised lamb leg and baked parsnips.

Color was quite faded with thin watery edge. On the nose I found some brief violet hints, cherry and cranberry juice. Nice aromatics indeed.
Palate was a lot more enticing this time around. Strawberry and raspberry fruits, good acidity, tartish finish. Not even close to showing signs of serious decline. So glad this showed well!

**** nice cherry on the finish day 2. No downturn at all.
no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Another Beau-jolly to relish!

by Bob Hower » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Glad to hear it Bob. As an aside, aren't parsnips great?? We are getting fresh parsnips at the farmers' market here, along with the very first salad greens, and I've been loving them - and mostly making them into patties with onions, egg, chopped walnuts. Somehow they are something I've ignored for much of my life, associating them with turnips which I do not like, but that association is completely wrong. Let's keep going with the Beaujolais.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:55 am

Good job! Until further notice, Morgon has lately become my favorite Bojo appelation.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:00 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Good job! Until further notice, Morgon has lately become my favorite Bojo appelation.

Neck & neck [lots of producers including 3 of the Gang of 5] with Moulin-a-Vent [Jadots in particular] for me.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:13 am

Nigel Groundwater wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:Good job! Until further notice, Morgon has lately become my favorite Bojo appelation.

Neck & neck [lots of producers including 3 of the Gang of 5] with Moulin-a-Vent [Jadots in particular] for me.

Recently I began to see non-Morgons from Gof5 and can't help wondering if their Morgons are made with their own grapes whereas the others are from purchased stuff...

The only "serious" MaV that I tried was the Diochon and I found that too... "serious."
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:39 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
The only "serious" MaV that I tried was the Diochon and I found that too... "serious."

Oops. Too serious, hmmm. So...five years? ten years? :shock: I just picked one up.

Of course, I still liked very much a closed down hard Fleurie, so...what do I know? :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:44 am

The Diochon VV of which I had a few magnums almost 10 years ago tasted more like a bourgogne wanna-be than a good, fruity beaujolais. But that was so long ago, maybe they've changed their style.