The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '07 Edmunds St. John Gamay Noir Porphyry Barsotti Ranch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: '07 Edmunds St. John Gamay Noir Porphyry Barsotti Ranch

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Bright as the spring day we had yesterday; packed with berry fruit and refreshing acidity. This is balanced & slurpable, but also carrying enough depth of flavor to be more than just a quaffer. There's a sense of tannin, so perhaps a year in the cellar is in order.

Another winner from ESJ.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Hmmmmm...

by TomHill » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:57 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Another winner from ESJ.

Hmmmm, David...don't you feel just a wee bit guilty about drinking wine this good this cheaply!!! :-)
I found the granitic soils gave the Porphyry and distinct mineral/stoney character that was much like a CruBeaujolais,
but w/ much of that pretty Gamay fruit you described. Good stuff, it is.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '07 Edmunds St. John Gamay Noir Porphyry Barsotti Ranch

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Indeed it does have more of a mineral character than I would expect. As usual, soil wins out.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Personally, I think the guilt is the important thing! :mrgreen:
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:09 pm

I try to make it up on volume.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:59 am

Well, Vintages Berkeley (a wine shop) got another case or so in (thanks Steve) so maybe I should try the one bottle I was able to buy!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:31 am

Steve's wines are showing up in all the best places these days.

Just had lunch at The Slanted Door---sitting at the bar, my favorite was to dine at TSD---and noticed the Gamay Noir was on the b-t-g list. So I had some. Delicious, and the perfect wine for the food at TSD. Just as David describes it: juicy, but tight and acid driven, with almost a citrusy tang at the finish, leaving the palate primed for sipping and munching.

Talked my companion into having the Lagrein which was also on the list (St. Magdalener), as she confessed she had never had Lagrein before. She loved it. Very Sud-Tirol red: lean, crisp, lively but light on the palate.

Our apps were basically any fresh veggies they had on the menu that day, so the wines were perfect with the asparagus and spinach. I surrendered to the green papaya salad, as usual; then had a moment of anguish as a guy next to me had the grapefruit and jicama salad. I should just order both of the damned things and be done with it!

The bartender, realizing we were geeks, brought us out a little lagniappe in lieu of dessert, and poured us each a dollop of the Loimer 2007 Riesling. I've had plenty of the Loimer Gewurztraminer over the years, but oddly enough never tasted his Riesling. Zowie! Basic burst of intense aroma and flavor (my companion blurted out "Fresh Limeade on a summer day!!!"), but bone dry and crisp and crackly and celery-snappy and white peppery in the follow through. Damn, that's what we should've been having with the veggies!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Hoke wrote:
The bartender, realizing we were geeks, brought us out a little lagniappe in lieu of dessert, and poured us each a dollop of the Loimer 2007 Riesling. I've had plenty of the Loimer Gewurztraminer over the years, but oddly enough never tasted his Riesling. Zowie! Basic burst of intense aroma and flavor (my companion blurted out "Fresh Limeade on a summer day!!!"), but bone dry and crisp and crackly and celery-snappy and white peppery in the follow through. Damn, that's what we should've been having with the veggies!

Loimer Riesling! Yum!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach