The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 06 Cameron Pinot & 07 Adelsheim Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 06 Cameron Pinot & 07 Adelsheim Syrah

by Jason Hagen » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:39 am

2006 Cameron Pinot Noir Abbey Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (3/21/2009)
From the get go, the smell of this wine is intense. As warned it would be a bit reductive and/or funky at the start. This does not and did not bother me. The intense aromas were wrapped but a steely minerally frame. It did not remind me of an 06. After taking a small taste, I left the bottle open for about 5 hours before gently pouring into the decanter. One thing that grabbed me with this wine was the big sweet cherry fruit right at the front and middle. You want it to continue but the finish, although long, did show some bitter tannins. Throughout the night the intense pure fruit stayed at the front but the tannins were in control of the finish. Food evened that out nicely. I also enjoyed the cinnamon spice on the palate. Subtle yet intriguing. This wine needs some serious time. The 06 vintage seems to leave its mark, making this wine very ripe with a big mid-palate but it still works for me. I think this is the best 06 I have tasted. Wait 5-10 years. (93 pts.)

2007 Adelsheim Syrah - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2/27/2009)
Whole cluster showing on the aromatics. Very clean. On the second night this was a bomb of black pepper plus a little cool climate funk. Fruit bursts out on the front palate followed by a slightly vacant mid palate. This is new world reminiscing with the old world. Silky and balanced. A fairly pretty wine with the right amount of edges. I need of some sleep time and may become very interesting. (91 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason