The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another romantic cork moment, plus Boulay and Selbach-O

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Another romantic cork moment, plus Boulay and Selbach-O

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:44 pm

With a shrimp/orzo/spinach feta dish and a pear/avocado/greens salad, the 2005 Gerard Boulay "Les Monts Damnes " Sancerre. Bigger riper version of Sancerre, mango and gooseberry. Despite big body, pretty good core of acidity. Some gunflint mineral notes make it through the fruit after awhile. Nice wine. B+/A-

Ah, the romance of cork. I really think the reason I paid for the 1997 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spatlese and cellared it for 5 or 6 years (didn't buy on release) was so I could enjoy the stench of mildewed cardboard - romance!!

However, the 2001 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Kabinett was a lovely wine. Nice counterpoint to a warm chicken salad (with peanut sauce and red and green peppers) served over rice. Really bracing acidity, racy as hell, but that's perfect for the food. Light petrol notes, clean lime and green apple fruit, loooooonnnnggg for a Kab. Precise, sprightly, clean, vivid. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Another romantic cork moment, plus Boulay and Selbach-O

by Salil » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 pm

My sympathies on that Schaefer. Ouch - really tragic!

That Sancerre does sound very nice though, and glad to hear about the Selbach. I love those wines more and more each time I open a bottle. The experiences I've had with 01 Germans recently have been sensational - those wines seem to be in an amazing place right now and I'm looking forward to opening some of mine soon (as I just took delivery of a bunch of 01s/98s that I ordered from Flickinger :D).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:24 pm

I too recently tasted a Boulay whilst in London. The `02 Clos de Beaujeu went well with a Goats Cheese salad.
The wine came from the cellar of a good friend Nicos, known to some here!!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:36 am

Once again the cork monster strikes a Riesling. More than 80% of the corked wines I have opened over the years have been made from the Riesling grape. Why does Riesling seem to be disproportionately effected by TCA? I do seek out Riesling under screw cap.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:48 am

Riesling is so transparent that any flaw is magnified.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:26 am

David,

Many, if not most of the corked Rielsings I have opened have been real stinkers. The TCA has not been subtle. From my log, it looks like TCA runs about 6% among among Rieslings, and less than half of that among everything else.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 am

My comment still stands.

By the way, Muscadet gets similarly high corked percentages in my tastings.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:59 am

Salil writes...That Sancerre does sound very nice though.

I don`t know why but I am starting to suffer from Sancerre withdrawl symptons!! Not much choice up here, mostly industrial juice, what should I do?!!
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:06 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Salil writes...That Sancerre does sound very nice though.

I don`t know why but I am starting to suffer from Sancerre withdrawl symptons!! Not much choice up here, mostly industrial juice, what should I do?!!

I feel your pain, except lately it seems to extend to all sauvignon blanc, including NZ, and even most unoaked chardonnay. I blame riesling and chenin, the buggers! I hope it's just a phase...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 am

Tim York has sent me a letter of condolence. Lucky bloke out there in Belgium, sitting on a Sancerre treasure-trove it seems!!