The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Robinot L’Opera des Vins Concerto D’Oniss

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2005 Robinot L’Opera des Vins Concerto D’Oniss

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:14 pm

2005 Jean-Pierre Robinot L’Opera des Vins Concerto D’Oniss VdT 13%
A pinot d’aunis from another low-SO2 Loire Valley maverick. This spent two hours in the decanter before serving. Strange color, sort of pale plum. Strong aromas of church spices and sous bois/green twigs. Before food, first mouth feel is both acid and bitter, but in a strangely pleasurable way. Very light frizziness, no doubt some secondary fermentation going on. The church spices and sous bois appear quite strongly in the taste as well (Marcia said it felt like one is licking the church floor – ugh, but yes) and the sous bois/green twigs reminded me of some young burgundies. Marcia, on the other hand, was reminded on the two Overnoy poulsards we had recently. I wonder if pinot d’aunis's DNA is closer to poulsard or the quasi-namesake but unrelated pinot noir… In any case, a very different wine, and quite pleasing, both sensually and intellectually. So much so that we finished the bottle, frustrating my intention of storing some in the fridge to see how it evolves. Will have to get more.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2005 Robinot L’Opera des Vins Concerto D’Oniss

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:This spent two hours in the decanter before serving..

Wow. Did you have a taste before putting it in the decanter? I find that sometimes these delicate wines can be so fragile they are likely to fall apart and oxidize/die within an hour or two.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2005 Robinot L’Opera des Vins Concerto D’Oniss

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:This spent two hours in the decanter before serving..

Wow. Did you have a taste before putting it in the decanter? I find that sometimes these delicate wines can be so fragile they are likely to fall apart and oxidize/die within an hour or two.

I wouldn't have done it ordinarily but the Chambers Street Wine blurb said "This wine needs air and got better over 4 days corked in my fridge, becoming more complex and velvety in texture." That's why I want to get another bottle to see what happens over time... It was slightly bretty from the bottleneck right after opening.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.