The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Clape Cornasán

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Clape Cornasán

by Saina » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Clape Côtes du Rhône 2006 13% abv; 26,70€

This is made from a combination of young vine, declassified Cornas and Syrah from a vineyard just outside of the Cornas appellation.

It is a delightful wine! It smells of olives and meat; ripe, dark fruit despite some leafiness, sometimes I think I smell the tiniest hint of funk (which is very welcome!). Palate-cleansingly tannic, ripe fruit, not hugely concentrated, surprisingly low in acid for what is otherwise so classic and pure Syrah. It is very drinkable now despite the strong tannins. Refreshing and quite delightful. I might be wrong, but it just doesn't seem to have the stuffing to go for more than a couple years gracefully? The only problem is the price, which does seem rather on high side.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Clape Cornasán

by Jenise » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:26 pm

Wow, 70 euros for something just labelled Cotes du Rhone? Even from Clape, a bit pricey. Or do I misunderstand (as I do frequently). :?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Clape Cornasán

by Saina » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Jenise wrote:Wow, 70 euros for something just labelled Cotes du Rhone? Even from Clape, a bit pricey. Or do I misunderstand (as I do frequently). :?

You missed the 26 in front of the 70! ;) So only about 27€ but that is still pricey for a CdR, even for one that is 100% Syrah that totally rocks like this one did.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.