The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Château des Charmes Gamay Noir "Droit"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2007 Château des Charmes Gamay Noir "Droit"

by Paul B. » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:36 pm

2007 Château des Charmes Gamay Noir "Droit" (St. David's Bench VQA): $16.95 at the LCBO. 13% alc./vol.; solid, high-quality natural cork closure.

Very attractive, clear (transparent) deep ruby with a garnet hue. Decanted for 2 hours. Bright strawberry/cherry fruit on swirling with wonderful spicy pepper notes all around; a very appetizing bouquet. Tense and grippy on the entry with firm acidity and noticeable r.s. on the aft-palate. Spicy and grippy on the mid-palate with a gentle structure all around; good richness but also focus; clean and spicy right into the finish. Very attractive wine from a fine red-wine vintage in Ontario.

This wasn't oaked but I feel it could have been: a bit of time in some older oak would have added a nice dimension. One of my favourite Ontario reds and a great value.

A bit more about the grape variety:

In 1982, Château des Charmes' founder Paul-Michel Bosc, while conducting pioneering clonal selection research at his vineyard in Niagara-on-the-Lake, noticed a single Gamay Noir vine that exhibited some interesting and unique characteristics. Most noticeably, the vine shoots grew in an upright ("droit") position. Propagation of this single vine began immediately and culminated almost two decades later in the granting of international Plant Breeder's Rights to Château des Charmes. "Canada's first vinifera" was born. (Source: http://www.chateaudescharmes.com/the_wi ... avids.html)
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 2007 Château des Charmes Gamay Noir "Droit"

by Howie Hart » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:22 pm

I've had several vintages of this wine and have never been disappointed. Haven't tried the '07 yet. Hmmm... I wonder if I could smuggle a few cuttings across the border. 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.