The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Discussion - Don't you dare disagree

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Re: Wine Discussion - Don't you dare disagree

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:17 pm

Hoke - Have you ever tasted ramps? Here in WV, children are sent home from school because they ate too many ramps the previous day. Adults know better than to venture out in public after consuming them. I could send you a bottle of the wine if you like. :twisted:

Edit: Rogov may have an opinion to share.
Last edited by Alan Wolfe on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:20 pm

I was once served a slice of "Ramp Quiche." I had no idea what a ramp was at the time. Now I will never forget.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:22 pm

So for those of us with absolutely no clue (I'm almost afraid to ask this, after the last few posts) - what exactly is/are 'ramps' in this context?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Ramps are a member of the onion/leek/garlic family. As far as I know, all wild, I've never heard of them being farmed. Quite intense, with a flavor between garlic and leeks. I've had some great ramp-centric dishes, it's worth trying if you ever visit say Blue Hill at Stone Barns in the spring. That said, I don't think I'd care for ramp wine!!!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Alan, thanks for thinking of me, but I have had ramps.

Did not particularly enjoy them, thinkyew. Do not want to even think of them as a wine.

The person that insisted a bunch of us have them for dinner was quite ecstatic to find out ramps were in season and available, and was quite forceful in getting them on our plates for dinner. And it was, apparently, not a joke and seriously done. None of us could quite see what all the fuss was about.

Mind you, as a son of the south, I've had pretty much every green that was in any way edible, domestic or wild. Might be all citified now, but it wasn't always that way. I was, at one time, both hunter and gatherer.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:16 pm

I've just been reading up on ramps. One of the things that is mentioned all the time about them is the terrible body odours they produce when you eat them. Some of the web sites I've read seem to positively revel in this feature of the plant - "eat some of this and celebrate the stench!" Can they be that bad? I'm curious to know.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Matilda L wrote:I've just been reading up on ramps. One of the things that is mentioned all the time about them is the terrible body odours they produce when you eat them. Some of the web sites I've read seem to positively revel in this feature of the plant - "eat some of this and celebrate the stench!" Can they be that bad? I'm curious to know.

They are!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Matilda - It seems to vary from person to person. It may depend on how many are consumed. A "ramp dinner" might include country ham, canned green beans, white beans with a little onion and/or fatback, cole slaw, corn bread, sweet tea to drink and of course lots of ramps. In the worst cases, if the odor were described as a combination of rotting flesh, butyl mercaptan, fresh night soil and rancid sweat justice would not have been done. And it oozes from the pores for days. Really an unforgettable experience.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:24 pm

I love onions, chives, garlic and leeks ... tried ramps and frankly didn't like them. They did seem to have a "mercaptan"-type smell that is not as fine or crisp as the aroma of a fresh onion. I wouldn't go to the trouble to pick them even if there were a patch nearby ... just my 2¢.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Matilda L wrote:I've just been reading up on ramps. One of the things that is mentioned all the time about them is the terrible body odours they produce when you eat them. Some of the web sites I've read seem to positively revel in this feature of the plant - "eat some of this and celebrate the stench!" Can they be that bad? I'm curious to know.

Absolutely! There is an annual 'Ramp Festival' in a town the next county over from my hometown. It's easy to tell who went.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Previous