The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Lascombes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

WTN: 2004 Lascombes

by David Glasser » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:31 pm

I was prompted to open this by recent notes on how well it showed at the 2004 Bordeaux Executive Wine Seminar.

2004 Château Lascombes : Dark purple to rim. Nose is quite forward, dark fruits, berries, cassis, cherry and a lot of oak and vanilla on opening. Very full-bodied with layers of lush ripe dark berries and overt oak, finishes with nice tannic and acidic structure, even a hint of citrus, and good balance. First impression is of a "modern" oaky sweet wine, but after sitting in the glass for an hour or so, more interesting things start to happen. The oak and vanilla in the nose start to recede a bit but some tarry smoky notes come forward, with the fruit just roaring out of the glass. In the mouth, the wine remains full-bodied, lush, and ripe, with great balance, fine tannins, a freshness offered by some acidic backbone, and a long finish. No longer a sloppy drooling puppy, it looks like this could develop into a classic Bordeaux with some age. After another hour the wine starts to close down, with tannins coming forward and the fruit receding a bit. This appears to be in the blush of youth - will it go into hibernation or remain deliciously drinkable throughout its lifetime? Has the stuffing to go a couple of decades or more. Excellent-outstanding.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: WTN: 2004 Lascombes

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:29 am

That is a good description of the wine, David. I had a bottle about a year ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit. From the sound of your note, I might just want to open another bottle in the not too distant future.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2004 Lascombes

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:05 am

I found the oak, vanilla and tar notes (spot on desriptors by the way) completely distracting. It's certainly well made wine, but in a style that I do not like.
Decisions are made by those who show up