The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '03 Tobin James Dusi Vineyard Zinfandel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '03 Tobin James Dusi Vineyard Zinfandel

by Carl Eppig » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:42 pm

2003 Tobin James, Dusi Vineyard, Paso Robles, Zinfandel ($38 U.S.). Alcohol level: 15.6%. Wow! What a fantastic wine; had to wrestle True Love for my share!

Absolutely at its peak; it gave a ton on fruit along with pepper and spice on the nose and upfront. Much more of the same in the middle; along with jam, smoke, minimal oak, and perfect balance despite the alky horsepower. This elixir provided a five alarm finish, the best finish in over a year; it just went on and on. She said it was the best wine she’d had in a looooooong time, and wished we’d bought more. Isn’t that always the case?

Now, one would think this would not go food, right? Wrong! It matched excellently with Shepard’s Pie made with ground lamb, veggies, gravy made with leftover fat after sautéing, and mashed potatoes. I saved my leftover wine till after dessert, but TL drank it with her nectarine cobbler and said it matched just fine!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '03 Tobin James Dusi Vineyard Zinfandel

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:46 pm

It's always a positive sign when you have to negotiate with someone else for your fair share.
Decisions are made by those who show up