The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: J. J. Confuron, Trimbach, Chambers and a few duds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: J. J. Confuron, Trimbach, Chambers and a few duds

by David Lole » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:13 am

Wines from two dinners put on for family and friends this week.

Trimbach Reserve Gewurtztraniner 2001 - typically potent mix of lychee, wild flowers, spices and apricot. Finishes a tad hard for me but Janet thought it just great with Turkish dips (homoss, cacik and beetroot) and pide bread. 88 points

Kuentz-Bas Pfersigberg Riesling 1996 - stuffed, oxidised.

La Chablisienne Chablis Grand Cru "La Preuses" 1995 - was much better in 2007 (92 points, IIRC). The very first sign of oxidation starting to creep in, otherwise a sound, rounded wine, if somewhat flat. About 84 points from me today. Possibly just bottle variation.

Vincent Girardin Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatieres 2005 - extremely well-honed, nicely balanced creamy fruit and mealy oak. Smooth and no rough edges. About a 91 pointer. Drink now-2012.

J. J. Confuron Nuits-St.-Georges 1er Cru "Aux Boudots" 1993 - just entering its prime drinking window. A little funk, mushroom, game and sous bois intermixed with bucketloads of glossy plum and cherry fruit with some delightful sappiness adding interest. Slightly blocky tannins need to resolve marginally for this to be at its very best, otherwise quite an outstanding example of pinot noir. 92 points

Turkey Flat Cabernet Sauvignon 1998 - haven't tried one of these for quite a few years and from memory this was a lot better back when. Still holds a very deep magenta, with good reserves of choco-berry fruit but reveals some spiky acidity on the palate. Finishes with decent length but somehow I found the wine a little tired and somewhat boring. 83 points

Chambers Vintage Port 1972 - Right on the cusp of being passed it. Our guests loved it. I thought it very good only. About 86 points would pull it up for me - too much astringency on the palate and the fruit has receded to allow the spirit to dominate. Almost "tawny" in style.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: J. J. Confuron, Trimbach, Chambers and a few duds

by David M. Bueker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:13 pm

That Chablis sounds like the dreaded premox beast. I might even say the same about the Kuentz-Bas if I wanted to cause panic about Alsatian wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up