The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Drouhin, Brokenwood, Haut-Monplaisir, Nøgne Ø

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Drouhin, Brokenwood, Haut-Monplaisir, Nøgne Ø

by Saina » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Drouhin Côte de Nuits-Villages 2005 13% abv; 18,12€

Sadly the price for this has gone up - a bit over 18€ now. But it is a really lovely wine. Tonight it is a bit grumpy, however: Drouhin does Faiveley. Angry, tannic, grippy, seems to be closing down - I guess even the humbler wines of Burgundy can go through an awkward phase. Yet the fruit was just pure, beetrooty Pinosity. I liked this very much - but I do like young Faiveleys, too (I guess I have a slight masochist streak, lol!).

Brokenwood Shiraz Graveyard 2004 Hunter Valley; 12,5% abv; c.55€

It is strange to see such a moderate alcohol level in an Aussie Shiraz. The style is, as expected from the lower abv, a more elegant style of Shiraz, where the emphasis is on drinkability rather than massive fruitiness.

If I could take away the overt oak aromas, I think I would find this wine awesome! The fruit seems fully ripe rather than over ripe as sadly seems to be the norm in the sample of Aussies that I have had. It has healthy tannins and a general sense of liveliness. It is a refreshing wine, one that begs me to take a bite to eat, to take another sip and to take a closer look at the wine. The other Aussies available to me reveal all their charms ... sorry, vulgar charmlessnesses ... immediately, whereas this wine makes me want to explore further. It has some finesse to it, though I do admit I find the oak a bit heavyhanded. But I am sure that time will correct it. I would love to see how this is in a decade!

Château Haut-Monplaisir Cahors 2005 13,5% abv; 10,97€

Nice stuff, with some attractively meaty fruit; good structure, but easy drinking. I like this and often open a bottle when drinking with non-winos: it's fun, honest and everyone (including me) seems to like it.

Nøgne Ø Bitter

A lovely herbaceous and coppery scent. Pleasantly tart, lovely, lovely brightness from the hops, there is a real bite! Yet it isn't an extreme beer since it has moderate alcohol (4,5%) and there is enough malt to counter the hops. Very, very refreshing and very moreish.

Nøgne Ø Havrestout

Is a lightish stout at 4,5%, compared to their "normal" stout at 7-8%. It has delightful salty/sea breeze aromas - is this the Norwegian equivalent of "Oyster Stout"? Dry, crisp and friendly with good malt presence. I so often find Stouts and Porters a bit too much on the sweet side for my taste, but this is delicously dry. I can well imagine this beer will compete with Muscadet when I next eat oysters! This reminds me a bit of Titanic Stout, except this has a more refreshing, complex aftertaste.

Nøgne Ø is IMO one of the most exciting and consistently well performing brewers. They make a range from such lighter beers as these two, to such massive, OTT nordic brews as Dark Horizon (at 16% abv!!!), yet everything seems to be of interest! Some I don't want to drink again, but all make for exciting drinking.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.