The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gems after the main event (Chave, SQN, Cheval Blanc)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Gems after the main event (Chave, SQN, Cheval Blanc)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:18 pm

Last night my wine group had an NCAA Tournament-themed taste-off where we set of pairs of wines in a bracket format & tasted them off. It was fun, but awkward, as different styles of wine were matched up. Of course the tasting did prove that defense is very important, as most of the more showy wines were knocked out early. (My wine came in second in the overall tournament, bested by some Washington Syrah from Herman Munster or someone like that.)

Anyway, our host for the evening opened his cellar (always a dangerous move after a tasting), and we had three wines that stole the show:

First up was the 1998 Chave Hermitage, and to my thinking it was the wine of the night. Certainly it was still very much a baby, and only after 30+ minutes of coaxing and swirling did the full extent of its meat, bacon & very dark fruit really come out. The balance was impeccable, and the wine was completely integrated despite its relative youth. Stunning wine that I could drink every night were I to have sufficient funds. I would write a lot more, but I really only needed a couple of words: young & complete.

Next came the 2001 Sine Qua Non Midnight Oil Syrah which I epxected to show goopy and over ripe compared to the Chave. Well it was certainly more fruit forward, but not goopy in any way. It had one thing that so many rich, new world wines lack: acidity. The freshness of the acidity kept the wine lively and never allowed it to become heavy. This was also a baby, but certainly much more apporachable than the Chave. Can someone point me to the nearest ribeye?

Finally we drank the 1983 Cheval Blanc which was delicious in a fully mature Bordeax way, but suffered in comparison. So I had a little food and some water, and allowed my palate to clear & the wine to open in the glass to reveal leather, red berries, and a dusty/smoky/cedary patina that was soft and caressing both aromatically and on the palate. I don't think the '83 is an outstanding Cheval Blanc (and it did not turn my head the way the '70 did several years ago), but it was certainly an outstanding wine that showed all the benefits of aging and of the great combination of Cabernet Franc & Merlot.

Jed - thanks for your more than generous contributions!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Gems after the main event (Chave, SQN, Cheval Blanc)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks for notes. Are you going to post re the "main event"?

Chave sounds great. For what is supposed to be a Southern Rhone vintage, the Northern wines keep impressing me.
SQN sounds nice to, I've yet to try one.
I personally would definitely put good bottles of '83 Cheval Blanc as an outstanding CB (though I've never had the '90, and am still waiting for someone to offer me some '47 :) ). I've had some great '83s, and last time when I served to my SOBER group someone commented it was the second time in previous year he had the '83 CB within a week of the '82, and both times preferred the '82.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:51 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: it did not turn my head the way the '70 did several years ago

I keep hearing great things about the '70 CB and feel as if I was cheated, since the bottle I tasted was "merely" excellent.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:52 pm

The main event was not that eventful for me. We did also have a bottle of the 2007 Domaine de La Garrigue Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Romaine that was very, very good.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Any notes on the main tasting?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:11 pm

The main tasting was not all that exciting (though the format was more fun than I thought it would be), and I did not take notes.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Holy cow. What a lineup.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:01 am

We did also have a bottle of the 2007 Domaine de La Garrigue Cotes du Rhone Cuvee Romaine that was very, very good.

Yes! This wine is very nice, and a fantastic bargain. I went back last week and bought a bunch more after tasting it the first time.
no avatar
User

Doug Levens

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:38 pm

by Doug Levens » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:35 pm

They certainly were gems.

This was only my second SQN and I am starting to understand the hype if they are all this good. What surprised me the most was the balance that the acidity brought to the wine.

I am drinking another bottle of the Domaine Garrigue as I type this and I am not sure that there is another $12 bottle of wine that provides this much pleasure.

Go Heels!!!!