The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Thevenet Morgon VV 2006 and Cali Cab Franc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Thevenet Morgon VV 2006 and Cali Cab Franc

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:08 am

After an appertif of crisp, minerally, and pleasant Faiveley Bourgogne (Blanc), we opened some reds last night. Neither was particularly exciting.

2006 Thevenet Morgon Vielles Vignes (Cru Beaujolais)

I know that M. Thevenet may be one of the Gang of Five, and I read a note from Oswaldo praising the 2004, but this wine did not excite me at all. Especially when compared to the Chermette (Dom. Vissoux) and Foillard wines I have tried in the last few months. :?

Light ruby color. Reticent nose of cranberry and herbs. On the palate, not very much body or texture for a Morgon. Instead, this was a classic example of what I call "French Hippy Cranberry Wine": light notes of herbs and cranberry fruit, not much real berry beaujolais goodness. Not all that much minerality or earhyness, either.

I think our mistake here was how we tasted the wine-I bet it would be MUCH better with a roast chicken (or even fried chicken!). I can only give this wine an 83 or so. Maybe I don't "get" Cru Beaujo, though.

2003 Waypoint Cabernet Franc Beckstoffer To Kalon Pedigreed vineyard, good winemaker, nothing wrong with this Cali Cab Franc, but it was simply not very exciting or even interesting. At least the alcohol was tamed and there were some herbal notes, but the oak was a little prominent right now and the wine lacked significant interesting elements. For half the price, one can pick up a William Harrison Rutherford Cab Franc which is much more interesting (and which proves a touch of Brett can be a good thing :P ) 84 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Thevenet Morgon VV 2006 and Cali Cab Franc

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:55 am

Strange/too bad about the Thevenet. My biggest source of variation with them has been brett, but doesn't sound like that was the problem with your bottle.

And one would expect more fruit from 2006.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Well...it simply had that light, thin, hippy wine character. No Brett at all.

There was quite a bit left over...so I will retaste it tonight.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Sorry to hear that. I brought back with me a 2006 V.V. too (as well as a 2007), so will compare notes soon.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.