The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Sad News: Great Chicago Sommelier Henry Bishop passed away.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

Sad News: Great Chicago Sommelier Henry Bishop passed away.

by Marco Raimondi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:10 am

In all my travels (including Italy) I never met a more knowledgeable person on the subject of Italian wines than Henry Bishop.

I met Henry almost thirty years ago when I was working as a wine salesman at the old "Sam's Liquors (Wine Warehouse)" on North Ave. & Halsted and Henry was the wine guy at "Bentley's Wine Bar" (also on Halsted). I went on to become an attorney :cry: , but Henry wisely pursued his love of wine and became the long-time sommelier at "Ristorante Spiaggia." Through his study & travels, and with the assistance of his intellect, genial personality, and impeccable palate, Henry gained an encyclopedic knowledge of Italian wines, especially the most idiosyncratic ones, and those produced from autoctonous grapes. Henry was a "poet" in the truest sense of the word, and an absolute genius at matching wines with food!

Here is a link to the obituary:
http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/thestew/2009/03/henry-bishop-legendary-sommelier-dies.html

and here is a link to Henry's web page:
http://www.henrybishop.net/

Rest in Peace, Henry; I'll raise a glass of Ruche' to you, until we meet again!
Marco

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Sad News: Great Chicago Sommelier Henry Bishop passed away.

by Dave R » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks for posting this sad news. I had met Henry on a few occasions and what you said is all true. The only thing I would add is in addition to wine, he was also passionate and very knowledgeable about film.

RIP
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.