The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Charly Thevenet Régnié "Grain & Granite"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2007 Charly Thevenet Régnié "Grain & Granite"

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:57 am

2007 Charly Thevenet Régnié "Grain & Granite" 13.0%
If Gang of Five Beaujolais were a hip musical, Son of Gang of Five Beaujolais would be the sequel, with vignerons tap dancing on barrels and prancing in the vineyards, flexing their suspenders back n' forth, arms splayed like vines across each others' shoulders.

Since Thevenet's 04 Morgon VV was my all-time favorite Beaujolais, I was curious to try this offering from his son, in case he was a chip off the old block, or a clonal selection. But though the kid follows the same farming practices, he seems headed down a different path.

Deep cherry hue, with relatively subdued but classy berry aromas, closer to Bourgogne cherry than Beaujolais strawberry/raspberry. A hint of caramel, tar and very mild barnyard or brett that soon blows off. Nice, sharp acidity, underlined by good, strong yet discreet fruit. Tastes lovely and refined, and wears its relatively high alcohol with great comfort. Feels like it should age extremely well and be something special in two to four years. My only gripe would be insufficient Beaujolais tipicity, as if this were closer to a passe-tout-grain.

This was brought from NY last week, and is apparently immune to bottle shock, unless, of course, it was something quite different in NY a week ago, which I'll never know.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2007 Charly Thevenet Régnié "Grain & Granite"

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:34 am

Nice. Where did you buy this in Nyc?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Nice. Where did you buy this in Nyc?

Chambers Street...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Nice. Where did you buy this in Nyc?

Chambers Street...

Good for them. Although now that I check the website it is always interesting to see the new producers starting with the higher prices. I guess they have more startup costs to work through.