The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Poll: What level do you fill your first glass of wine to?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

What level do you usually fill your first glass of wine to?

Essentially a full glass worth
2%
About 3/4 full
2%
Half full
14%
Less than half a glass
59%
I don't follow a strict level at all and really dont even think about it to be honest
11%
It largely depends on the wine
No votes
It largely depends on the glass
9%
Other (feel free to specify)
2%

Total votes : 44
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Poll: What level do you fill your first glass of wine to?

by Jeff B » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:38 am

Feel free to play along and cast your vote.

I specified first glass of wine because I would assume the likliehood of most anyone saying they fill the glass completely full on a 2nd or 3rd "re-fill" probably isnt high at all (it may not even be likely for the first glass, that's why I thought I'd ask...). The poll also presumes that by "first glass of wine" you are intentionally opening a wine for true drinking/meal/enjoyment purposes and not pouring the "first glass" for mere tasting group or "sampling" purposes.

I'm guessing, as general practice advises, that most leave some space when they pour a glass for swirling and breathing but you never know. It's also possible that some just "drink" wines casually or at meals only and may simply fill the glass full (more or less) without regards to much swirling or aromatic concerns so I thought I'd provide all options. Hopefully I did. If not, just click other and feel free to add your own option/preference.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why I even thought to start such a poll since I don't really have a constant preference myself! I'd say most the time I probably do a half glass on the initial pour (for any wine), which is the option I went with. Sometimes closer to 3/4 a glass. I rarely ever do a FULL glass (for any purpose/ocassion) and rarely ever do a 1/4 glass either. The glassware exception (which I added as an option) that immediately came to mind would be the champagne flute (if one uses them often), which seems to dictate that a first pour is always pretty generous, rarely below half full. Still, you never know? Other than that, I don't know if people's own levels/habits vary based on different glassware or even different wines. Maybe you "guzzle" (blindly fill up a glass) when having an ocassional glass of mellow chardonnay but you never pour more than half a glass if having a special bordeaux/burgundy? If you do more than one option, just pick the one that best applies, or most frequently applies. Enjoy!

Take Care,

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: Poll: What level do you fill your first glass of wine to?

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:26 am

For many styles of glass I find filling to about the widest part of the glass is about right - it allows comfortable swilling without fear of accidents. I don't usually think in terms of proportion of the whole glass, but I'd guess it is a 1/4 or 1/3. Certainly less than a half. If anything I fill the first glass less than subsequent ones as I want to pay more attention to it and I am more likely to want to get some air into it or let it warm quickly.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:48 am

Steve Slatcher wrote: If anything I fill the first glass less than subsequent ones as I want to pay more attention to it and I am more likely to want to get some air into it or let it warm quickly.

That's a good point. I didn't even think about it in that way. My initial guess was most people would have their most "generous" pour off the bat and, if for no other reason than pulling back on the alcohol consumption, would likely have smaller pours on any following glasses. I didn't stop to think that some might actually prefer more generous pours on later glasses if they are, in a sense, just using the first glass to get acquainted with the wine.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:39 am

Depends on the glass, but in general I fill it up to the wide bit, under half way up, so there is a generous amount of air in the glass to capture the aromas.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:15 am

I voted "it depends on the glass." But in general at home we use a variety of stemware (mostly Schott Zweisel) and I fill to (at most) widest part, which would be considerably less than half full.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:32 am

Voted it depends on the glass.

Flutes will generally be 2/3 or so, but everything else is probably 1/4-1/3.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:07 am

I don't know what a 'full glass' is. I have certainly never filled any of my glasses anywhere near the top.

I tend towards small pours (2-3 sips) to evaluate the wine and let it slowly develop over hours in the bottle.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:49 am

I had the misfortune of being stuck on an extended business trip with a guy that would order the restaurant waiter to “fill it up” every time the waiter would only fill his wine glass half full. We were ordering by the glass and not by the bottle and he thought he was getting cheated by not being served a full glass. One of the restaurants we went to served their wine in Riedel Cab glasses. I'm surprised the bowl did not break off the stem when the waiter filled it to capacity for this guy.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:52 am

Generally, drinking at home with a meal, 1/4 to 1/3 full, although quite often just a tasting sized pour.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 pm

I tend to drink too fast, so I pour very small tasting pours to better pace things.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:26 pm

I voted for the 3/4s of a glass, which is where we normally fill to. That gives the glass a chance to sit for a while, and let the wine develop to a reasonable starting point. Then as we are getting ready to eat, I sip some, and then swirl it, and sniff and taste again. If it passes muster, I pour True Love a glass, and after grace dinner begins.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:14 pm

Not more than would allow for easy and rapid swirling so that I can enjoy the aromas/bouquet of the wine before sipping. And of course, depends on the size of the glass. One rule though - never more than 1/3 full.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Voted it depends on the glass.

Flutes will generally be 2/3 or so, but everything else is probably 1/4-1/3.

Ditto.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:26 pm

Dave R wrote: I'm surprised the bowl did not break off the stem

LOL! Some people just shouldn't be allowed to leave home. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:14 pm

I open the bottle and pour a taste - about an ounce. When I pour the first glass to drink, I usually fill to about the widest part of the glass. I mostly don't use REALLY BIG glasses for day to day drinking, they're about 14 oz. When I use my snazzy Riedel glasses, I try to aim for about a 3 - 4 oz pour, planning to spread the wine out amongst more people and maybe a second glass.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:32 pm

I have some rather large glasses for reds (some hold more than 400-600 mls) so for me its almost always much less than half.

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I tend to drink too fast, so I pour very small tasting pours to better pace things.

I use relatively small glasses to achieve the same result. My Riesling glasses only hold 6 or 7 ounces at the very most, so a 1/2 fill or less is a small portion.

I also do not use "real" Cabernet glasses all that often. The only big bowled glasses I use are for Pinot based wines (ok - Nebbiolo too), so I tend ot drink Pinot a little more rapidly. :D
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:23 pm

I was at home for a second and did test pours in the two glasses I use the most.
In a "Chardonnay" glass (I use for most whites, most light to midweight reds such as Beaujolais, Chianti, etc) that's about 12-14 oz, my normal pour ( to widest point) is about 3 oz.
In a Bordeaux glass (about 25 oz) my pour is only slightly larger, still under 4 oz.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm with Brian - I tend to pour myself no more than a couple of ounces at a time. I find I drink more wine more quickly if I put more than that in the glass. The exception is when I'm sitting at the table with food in front of me. Then I'll pour 4 or 5 ounces. But that's almost never the first glass.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:52 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:I try to aim for about a 3 - 4 oz pour, planning to spread the wine out amongst more people and maybe a second glass.

John

That's also a good point I didn't consider. It makes sense that small pours on a first glass would be the biggest choice if, in fact, the bottle is almost always being shared by more than 2 people.

Jeff
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:22 pm

The *only* time I ever poured less than a third of a glass was when there was a bottle of retsina sitting in front of me in a Greek restaurant.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Being an aroma junkie, I love to swirl and smell my wine a lot. Therefore, I never fill my glass more than 1/4-1/3 the way. I also do not allow restaurant servers to exceed that amount at my table.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:59 pm

"One of the restaurants we went to served their wine in Riedel Cab glasses. I'm surprised the bowl did not break off the stem when the waiter filled it to capacity for this guy."

Wow, Dave R, the guy you describe must have a grip of iron. Was he a golfer? I’m an amateur pianist and rock climber and have fairly strong flexors, but I’d probably spill some wine if I filled a Riedel Bourdeaux glass to the brim. This shape is really unbalanced when full—I’ve broken a couple while hand-rinsing them for this reason.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:49 pm

Wow. This guy is a serious drinker! The Riedel Cab glasses I use at home hold about 21oz, filled right to the rim, or in other words, almost a full bottle. Even in those glasses, I usually pour about 2 or 3oz at a time, so my vote would be about 1/8 full I guess.

Dave R wrote:I had the misfortune of being stuck on an extended business trip with a guy that would order the restaurant waiter to “fill it up” every time the waiter would only fill his wine glass half full. We were ordering by the glass and not by the bottle and he thought he was getting cheated by not being served a full glass. One of the restaurants we went to served their wine in Riedel Cab glasses. I'm surprised the bowl did not break off the stem when the waiter filled it to capacity for this guy.
Next