The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 06 Loire, 07 Beaujolais

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 06 Loire, 07 Beaujolais

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:36 pm

2006 François Pinon Vouvray “Cuvée Tradition”
This started out as round, slightly sweet fun but then turned hollow and something about the black mineral character seemed a bit ‘dirty’ or at least rough. Does this wine shut down?

2006 Guy Bossard Domaine de L’Ecu Muscadet Expression de Gneiss
At the core there is some salty crisp Muscadet character but the edges were big round brownish and dull. Not my favorite iteration.

2007 Vissoux Beaujolais VV Cuvée Traditionelle
Small-framed earthy fruity berries that were fun to drink for the $13 price but didn’t make me as excited as others have been. Although I was using sub-optimal stemware…

2007 Vissoux Fleurie Poncié
Tart, crisp, hard, and not particularly giving over a few hours. Was this showing better in earlier months? Does it need more time?

2007 Lapierre Morgon
At first it showed a bit tart for a few people at the table but with air the silky spice box that I love about this wine began to emerge and I was pretty happy. Fragrant, fine, and fresh. Far from the most concentrated version so people with different palates might prefer other vintages. But I’m such a sucker for these particular Morgon textures and flavors that I’m happy to have them all!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 06 Loire, 07 Beaujolais

by Brian K Miller » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:24 pm

Eek.

Hopefully the 2006 vintage of the Fleurie is a little nicer. Doesn't Fleurie tend to be soft and fruity? (at least in comparison to the more structured Morgon)

My sample of Traditionelle was a little richer and more interesting than your's, I think. Bottle variation be darned!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Hopefully the 2006 vintage of the Fleurie is a little nicer. Doesn't Fleurie tend to be soft and fruity? (at least in comparison to the more structured Morgon)

I have heard good things about the 07 as well, which is why I was wondering if anyone tasted it recently or whether this was just a phase.

I think in general Fleurie tends to be softer and fruitier than Morgon or Moulin-a-Vent, but it all depends on the specific terroir. Coudert's Fleurie is so structured because it borders MaV. I don't know about this Poncié vineyard.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:16 pm

I had the same Pinon as part of my Vouvray tasting at the end of January. Then it was my least favorite of the five, but still quite good. Last week I picked up a bottle of the Pinon Silex, which may be more interesting.

Glad to hear the Lapierre was good. Though I enjoyed more what I've tasted so far from Thevenet, Breton and Foillard, the 07 Lapierre that we opened a few weeks ago was still in that higher (and lovely) league.

Last night and tonight we drank the 07 Vissoux, so will report on that later tonight or tomorrow morning.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:38 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Last week I picked up a bottle of the Pinon Silex, which may be more interesting.

It should be more interesting. And I look forward to trying these new vineyard-specific bottlings.

Glad to hear the Lapierre was good. Though I enjoyed more what I've tasted so far from Thevenet, Breton and Foillard, the 07 Lapierre that we opened a few weeks ago was still in that higher (and lovely) league..

These 3 in this TN were the only 07 Beaujolais wines I've tasted thus far. I look forward to trying some others as well. Especially Foillard.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:42 pm

I had a different 2007 Vissoux at Willi's Wine Bar in February that was delicious. Right now I do not recall the specific cuvee.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:25 am

I quite liked the '97 Vissoux Trad. Thought it a steal for the price. I liked the '06 Pinon too, but drank early.

Oswaldo, I assume the Silex Noir is the '07, correct? Think they started that separate bottling in /07 vintage
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 am

Dale Williams wrote:Oswaldo, I assume the Silex Noir is the '07, correct? Think they started that separate bottling in /07 vintage

Yes, I remember that you liked it at the Cercle Rouge tasting last year.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:01 am

Dale Williams wrote:I liked the '06 Pinon too, but drank early.

Yes, there were some appealing things about the first few sips, so I was wondering if it just needs time to evolve and come back into its own.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:11 am

Guess I can pop this Loire update in here!

http://www.richardkelley.co.uk/valduloir_index.htm
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:23 am

Rahsaan wrote:
2007 Vissoux Fleurie Poncié
Tart, crisp, hard, and not particularly giving over a few hours. Was this showing better in earlier months? Does it need more time?

Chermette's Fleurie is possibly the most structured wine in its Cru. I expect these to be quite long-lived. We have '05s that are still not really ready for prime time.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Chermette's Fleurie is possibly the most structured wine in its Cru. I expect these to be quite long-lived. We have '05s that are still not really ready for prime time.

Was your read on the 2007 that is was more approachable earlier or did it start out shutdown?

(I heard reports that it was very delicious last fall)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:04 pm

I'm getting old. I start reading this, think "hey, this sounds familiar" THEN look at date.