The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dominus '97, Pavie '99

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Dominus '97, Pavie '99

by Jay Labrador » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:26 am

I was unable to join a small group of some friends for lunch but, as their lunch was quite long and my appointment for the day was quite short, I had a window of opportunity to join them for a quick drink between meetings.

Dominus 1997 - Mature color on the rim but otherwise, still deep. Some stink on the nose. Smells like a zoo, musky and poopy but in a good way. Very ripe and sweet. Incredible length. Soft and a real pleasure to drink. Perfection now.

Chateau Pavie 1999 - Obvious browning on the edge although the core still looks young. Coffee, mint, raisins, very ripe fruit. Faint burnt and overripe character. A bit of alcohol showing as well. Soft tannins and probably close to peak now. Very good but no wow for me.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Dominus '97, Pavie '99

by Jenise » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:15 pm

"Smells like a zoo"--made me laugh out loud. I'd put that in the Tasting Note Hall of Fame, if there were one! And I appreciate the report on the 99 Pavie, I have that wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov